Lemon & Blackberry Slice

Sunday 15 April 2018






In all truth my favourite flavour of all baked goodies has to be lemon, followed closely by chocolate . . .  I would actually be very hard pressed to choose between the two, but I (hand to heart) have to admit that lemon has a slight edge over chocolate. 









This means that I will choose a lemon slice over a brownie, lemon cake over chocolate cake, lemon muffins over chocolate muffins, and lemon meringue pie instead of chocolate cream pie . . .  every time.  YES, every single time.  It brings a slight tear to my eye that I would ever have to choose between the two, but alas, you really cannot have it all.
 




Lemon Slices are my absolute favourite of all baked squares.  ABSOLUTE.  

And no wonder . . .  with their crisp shortbread cookie type of base . . .  and that wobbly lemon curd topping.  What's not to totally love about that combination!





These are fabulous and are really simple to make.  The crust is a buttery crumb that you press into the pan and bake . . .  the lemon filling a simple mix that you pour over top of the baked base . . .







Blackberries and lemon are a fabulous combination . . .  both in flavour and colour.  


Today I chose to add a layer of blackberry flavour in between the crust and the topping by way of some blackberry conserve . . .







Not only does this add colour and interest, but it also adds an additional layer of flavour . . .







Just look at that  . . .  with its crisp buttery base and that lovely lemon topping  . . .  with that ribbon of blackberry in the middle.  Oh boy  . . .









Beautiful for a special tea party if you are planning one, and beautiful just enjoyed as a part of your weekend indulgence . . .









Oh, I do love to pull out the stops a tiny bit at the weekend, and these were the perfect way to do just that.  I think you will agree.









*Lemon & Blackberry Slices*
Makes  15 squares


 A butter, almost shortbread type of base, topped with sweet blackberry conserves,  with a tangy lemon curd topping baked on top.  Delicious. 


For the base:
280g of plain flour (2 cups)
225g of cold unsalted butter (1 cup, or 2 sticks)
42g sifted icing sugar (1/3 cup)
1/4 tsp fine sea salt 


For the jam:
6 heaped dessert spoons blackberry conserves (about 3/4 cup) 


For the lemon curd topping:
281g of granulated sugar (1 1/3 cup)
the finely grated zest of one un-waxed lemon
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 TBS plain flour
3 large free range eggs
the juice of 2 1/2 lemons (1/3 cup) 


Icing sugar to dust 


Lemon & Blackberry Slice





Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter an 11 by 7 inch baking dish,  Dust with flour, shaking out any excess.  Set aside.  (Alternately you can line with foil and butter and dust the foil, leaving an overhang to lift the slices out when done.) 


Whisk the flour, icing sugar and salt together in a large bowl.  Cut the butter into cubes and drop it in.  Rub it into the flour mixture with your fingertips until you have coarse crumbs.  Press this mixture into the prepared baking tin.    Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, just until it is firm.  Remove from the oven. 


Whisk together the granulated sugar, lemon zest, baking powder and flour for the lemon topping.  Beat in the eggs and lemon juice until smooth.  Set aside. 


Stir the jam together in a bowl with a fork to loosen it.  Spread this over the warm base.  Pour the lemon mixture over top and return the pan to the oven.  Bake for an additional  25 to 30 minutes, until it is set and lightly browned.  Remove from the oven and set the pan on a wire rack to cool completely before removing from the pan.  Dust with icing sugar.  Cut  into squares to serve. 








Of course you can leave the jam layer out altogether and you will still have a pretty darned tasty slice. If you are not fond of blackberry, you could do raspberry or strawberry, both go very well. These are a crisp buttery, unctuously tart, sweetly ribboned taste sensation that nobody will be able to resist!  Bon Appetit!  (They scream spring to me!) 




7 comments

  1. I love the addition of the jam..:) So pretty and w/ that cup:)Oh we like cute little things don't we?
    In June we will ne married 44 yrs..we don't give gifts.
    I happened upon a Brambly Hedge teacup and saucer..Varage Sale..Very very reasonable...very..I told Jacques I bought it for my anniversary.
    "The Wedding".
    My daughter picked it up at the lady's home for me..will see it soon.
    The things we like are inexplainable aren't they?
    Little cups..teas..paints..a plate..a flower..a box..an artwork..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very similar in our tastes and likes Monique. That cup, Greengate. I bought myself several a few years back, I have two like that, and four, two each of two other patterns, all blue and white. I love Greengate anything, but very hard to come by these days. Oh, Brambly Hedge, I can't wait to see it. I am sure it is beautiful, "The Wedding." I have patterns to make some of the Brambley Hedge characters as dolls. I should make some more. Yes, little cups, teas, paints, a flower, a box, special art. We are two of a kind dear friend! xo

      Delete
  2. You had me at lemon! I'm addicted to anything with lemon in it, much to the amusement of my husband who can't understand my love for what he thinks is a strange fruit.

    This is really, really lovely and so easy to do! No mucking about making the curd over a stovetop (though I do like to do that and eat spoonfuls as it cooks - ha, ha). I loved that it made the filling itself in the oven and that flavour combination with blackberries and lemons was perfect. The only trouble is that I kept taking "just one more" ... I could not stop at one piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Todd doesn't understand my lemon addiction either Marie. LIke you, I can't leave these alone! So pleased that you enjoyed them! Yay! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!