Baked Haddock with a Walnut Salsa Verde

Wednesday 26 August 2009



We don't always eat hedonistic, calorie laden, sumptious meals in this house. Actually, we do try to eat quite healthily most of the time.



I was trying to think yesterday about how often I cook the same thing twice, and I do really from time to time, but on the whole, Todd is treated to something different most nights of the week. It might only be a salad, or a side dish, but it's something different.



Such is the life of a food blogger's husband.

Destined to be a guinea pig, and never allowed to eat . . .



until the photographs have been duly taken and noted.



He draws the line in restaurants, although I'll be honest here . . . I do embarass him from time to time.

It's all in the line of duty . . . I just knew you'd understand.



I made this fabulous fish dish the other night that was incredibly delicious. Yes, we do try to eat fish several times a week, and we try not to eat it fried. I usually grill or bake it. My mom always said that fish was brain food. I don't know if that's true or not . . . but, I do feel a bit smarter after eating it, from time to time . . .



*Baked Haddock with a Walnut Salsa Verde*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Any mild flavoured white fish can be used in this recipe, but we especially like it with Haddock. Tender and flaky fish with a delightfully tangy and nutty salsa. Delicious!

For the Salsa Verde:
60g of walnuts, toasted and chopped
2 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
2 heaped tsp of nonpareille capers, finely chopped
40g of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
the grated zest and juice of one fat unwaxed lemon
2 Heaped TBS of extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

4 haddock fillets
paprika to dust
Bart's fish seasoning
olive oil to drizzle



Pre-heat the oven to 200*C/400*F. Lightly butter a baking dish. Place the haddock fillets in the dish and lightly dust with some paprika and the fish seasoning. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake in the heated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the thickeness of your fillets. Check halfway through the baking period. The fish is done when it flakes easily with the tines of a fork. Remove from the oven and keep warm.

To make the salsa verde, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl, seasoning to taste with sea salt and black pepper.

Serve the fish with some of the salsa verde spooned over top and the rest on the side so that people can help themselves to more if they wish. We like this with boiled new potatoes and haricots vert on the side.

8 comments

  1. I have everything on hand and fish was planned for tonight..so I will try your salsa verde:) Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very beautiful preparation for haddock...must try! I eat mostly a plant-based diet, but still enjoy a little fish. Thanks for another great recipe, Marie! LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Marie look really yummy, send huggs and kisses to you a nd Todd, I love the pictures,xxxgloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's no good, I just have to ask: where can I find a HEAPED TBS OF OLIVE OIL?

    Poor Todd; I can just see the poor man standing there drooling while you take your photos. He's one in a million, he is. Does he ever riot?

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, that looks like a great meal and healthy to boost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so fresh and delicious. I love the crunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That salsa looks great, I'll have to try these out on my fish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what about the walnuts? I keep looking at the recipe but can not see when to include them? Sorry if I am missing something obvious here. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!