Blue Cheese Salad Dressing

Sunday 9 August 2009



I had some blue cheese leftover from the other day when I made that Summer Vegetable Lasagna. I don't like to keep blue cheese sitting around for very long. I find it very difficult to see if it's gone off or not, so I like to use it up right away.

Can you believe that I had never eaten Blue Cheese in any way shape or form before I moved over here to England? I know! How did I ever get through life without having tasted it before now!



I think I always got put off by the idea of it being a type of mould before. Eating mouldy food has never quite appealed to me, but I have to admit that in cheese, it's very good, at least in this kind of cheese. I love them all . . . Stilton, Gorgonzola, Danish, Cashel Blue, Maytag . . . to name but a few. In fact, when I was growing up I wouldn't eat any kind of cheese at all unless it was Kraft Cheese slices or a powder from out of a blue box. I was too chicken to try anything new. (I'm so glad I grew out of that stage!)



I used Danish both for the lasagna and for this tasty salad dressing. It's tangy without being too overpowering, which is what you want when you are eating blue cheese combined with other foods. Or at least, it's what I want.



I made a delicious salad of sliced fresh pears, cos lettuce, red onion and toasted walnuts for our supper last night and we had this delicious blue cheese dressing poured over top. Yummo!



*Blue Cheese Salad Dressing*
Makes 10 servings
Printable Recipe

One of my favourite salad dressings is Blue Cheese. You can't get a decent one in the shops and so I prefer to make my own. Marks and Spencer used to do a really good one, but you can't buy it anymore, well, at least not around here anyways! Plan ahead as this tastes better upon sitting overnight.

1 cup good quality Mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1/2 to 3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
2 TBS grated onion
4-5 drops of Tabasco sauce
1 TBS lemon juice
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp salt
a dash of cayenne pepper
1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
2 tsp white sugar
6 ounces blue cheese, crumbled



Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream and buttermilk, adding as much of the buttermilk as you need to give it a good consistency. You want it to be pourable. Whisk in the remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Cover and chill for 24 hours before serving. You may need to add a bit of regular milk if it is too thick. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving.

8 comments

  1. Yum! I love everything cheese and this recipe for blue cheese dressing is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...mmm...I just LOVE blue cheese...anyway, I love it...And in a dressing is always a winner. This is great, Marie :o) Happy Day, sweet friend--LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pears and walnuts combined with the blue cheese flavors! Fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homemade dressing usually tastes so much better. I love to make my own dressings too. Now I want to find some chicken wings to dunk into the dressing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love blue cheese dressing, the restaurant I work at makes they're own that's terrific but I can't get the recipe! I have to try yours Marie, I love all the ingredients!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie I love blue cheese really I love all cheeses!! and this salad look terric and tasty!! xxxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've loved bleu cheese ever since I was a kid, but lately, all the dressings I buy are too heavy with vinegar and it makes the roof of my mouth twinge. I'll be saving this recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just gleaned 60 pounds of plums from 1 seattle tree for the food bank. And they were kind enough to let us have as many as we wanted so I was grateful for your plum recipes. The rustic tart is delicious and then I discovered the blue cheese salad dressing and the cheap and cheerful recipes. This is a wonderful site. Thank you so much for cooking it up1.

    Loryn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!