Mom's Quick Cinnamon Rolls

Monday 10 August 2009



When I was growing up, one of the favourite treats my mother used to make for us was what she called Cinnamon Rolls. They weren't cinnamon rolls as you would expect them to be though . . . but a deliciously butter scone type of dough, rolled out flat, heavily buttered, sprinkled with a mixture of heavenly cinnamon and brown sugar and then rolled up like a jelly roll, sliced and baked.



They were quick to do and I suppose that's why she used to make them for us. She could have a nice plate full of these warm treats sitting in front of us in about half an hour and boy, oh boy, what a treat they were! After having been tortured by the smell of them baking we could hardly wait to dig in.



My father, being French Canadian, had another pet name for them. He always called them . . . wait for it . . . Nun's Farts!! I know . . . rude eh? My mother hated it, but we always thought it was quite funny . . . even if she did shoot daggers our way anytime we referred to them as such . . .



Only the French could come up with a name like that . . . and I say that with affection. Let's face it . . . if a Nun did fart (and you would have a hard time getting one to admit it eh?) they'd have to smell like cinnamon buns wouldn't they? How could you resist the temptation of eating such a delicacy . . I know I couldn't!! 'Nuff said . . .

You'll have to eat these all on the day, as they don't hold up that well in the waiting and taste best when fresh. Pity that . . . but eating them all on the same day as they are baked has never been a problem around here . . . funny how that goes. You can freeze them, without icing, so no worries.



*Mom's Quick Cinnamon Rolls*
Makes a dozen
Printable Recipe

These are not a yeast roll, but a quick roll made with biscuit dough, rolled out and then spread with softened butter. Sprinkled with a tasty cinnamon sugar mixture, rolled up, sliced and baked, they are a real taste treat. I like to add sultanas and chopped walnuts to mine, and a thin drizzle of icing. Mom never did this and we were happy with them plain, but then you can't miss what you've never had can you?

For the Dough:
2 cups plain flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup plus 2 TBS milk
For the Filling:
3/4 cup packed soft light brown sugar
2 TBS cinnamon
softened butter
Sultana raisins and chopped walnuts to taste (optional)
To Glaze:
1 cup of sifted icing sugar
a bit of milk



Pre-heat the oven to 205*C/435*F. Butter a shallow baking sheet large enough to hold the rolls, about the size of a jelly roll pan. Set aside.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the shortening with either a pasty blender, or two round bladed knives until the mixture looks like fine bread crumbs. Stir in the milk with a fork to make a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured board and gently knead 8 to 10 times. Roll or pat out to a rectangle, 8 inches wide by 12 inches long. Spread with the softened butter. Mix together the sugar and the cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over top of the butter. If using sultanas and nuts, sprinkle these on now as well. Roll up tightly from the long end as if for a jelly roll, sealing it along the long edge by pinching it together. Cut into 1 inch thick slices and place them onto the buttered baking tray. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until nicely browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool a bit. Whisk together the icing sugar and enough milk to make a loose drizzle.
Drizzle some of this over the warm biscuits. Serve warm. Delicious!

12 comments

  1. Cinnamon rolls are the ULTIMATE comfort food . . . and SO versatile too! I made some with my pumkin pecan butter too . . . delightful! I am loving the way your look! When's breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali from Ireland10 August 2009 at 11:12

    Oh, yum yum. This is sure to become a regular Sunday morning breakfast in my home. Love the story to accompany the recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOooo...soooo good! I've not made something like this in a long time. Should remedy that--LOL! ;o) Where I am living it's very difficult to get vegetable shortening, do you think I could use butter instead? Oh, I could eat one of these buns now with a cuppa... Happy week, Marie--LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes.. NFs:) Ours are different.. but yes we have them..These look good Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly the way Mum used to make our cinnamon rolls too, oh such sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mum would have knocked our heads clean off our shoulders for saying FART!!!!! It reminds me of a Dave Allen (late Irish comedian) sketch involving the bishop travelling in a rail carriage with some priests and monks from a silent order. An almighty pong wrinkles all their noses in various hilarious ways. Not a word is spoken but the way its finally revealed that the bishop is the culprit had me in stitches.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, yep! I've definitely heard of 'pets de nonne'. I didn't know this was the recipe that accompanied the unfortunate name, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie I love cinnamon rolls and these are amazing, I love them, huggsss Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh you always make the most delicious looking treats, things I never think to go bake, but am dying to try these ones! Nun's Farts, HILARIOUS!

    To answer your question about my cream cheese frosting...I used Philidelphia Cream cheese, and I think the secret is to keep it in the fridge right up until you put into the bowl with the icing sugar, the colder it is the better it seems to hold its shape!

    Hope that helps! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am also French Canadian and, indeed, the literal translation of one dessert is Nun's Fart... but the worst thing, it is that this dessert is ssssssooooooo yummy! My granma used to make some and, when they were hot, they were truly amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ♥ cinnamon buns. Just testing to see if this works! (I know, what am I like!!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!