Pork Cutlet with Broad Beans, Wild Mushrooms and Sage

Monday 3 August 2009



One of my favourite fresh tastes of summer is broad beans. If you are really lucky and you can get them when they are very young and tender, you can cook them pods and all for a truly delicious taste treat.



Normally though you can only find them when they are a bit older and so they have to be podded. I am not overly fond of the grey/green outer skin on the beans though, so I like to double pod them. This can be a bit fiddly, but trust me when I say that it's well worth the effort taken, which reveals the deliciously tender little jewel within.



Not so hard to do really, just fiddly. Begin by blanching your podded beans for one minute in boiling water. Remove to ice water to chill down quickly. Drain and them using your fingernail, snip off one end of the grey/green outer skin and push the little green bean inside out with your other fingers. A bit fiddly, but like I said, more than worth the effort.



I saw this tasty recipe in the Sunday magazine of the Sunday Telegraph several weeks ago and immediately ear marked it. It looked impressive, and yet simple at the same time.



I was right.



It was.



*Pork Cutlet with Broad Beans, Wild Mushrooms and Sage*
Serves 2 - 3
Printable Recipe

If you're looking for a delicious meal, using simple ingredients, yet special enough to make a good impression on someone, look no further. This fits the bill on all counts. Adapted from the Telegraph on Sunday magazine

500g broad beans
olive oil
100g butter
1 large pork cutlet (2 bones)
1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 bunch sage, leaves separated from the stems (keep the stems)
2 shallots, chopped
200g wild mushrooms**
2 Cox apples, peeled and diced fairly small
250ml good quality chicken stock



Blanch the broad beans in plenty of boiling salted water for a minute. Immedately drain and plunge into ice water to stop them from cooking any further. Remove the tough outer shells and set aside.

Pre-heat the oven to 160*C/350*F.

Heat a large casserole that is fit for cooking both on top of the stove and in the oven, over medium high heat. Add a little olive oil and a knob of butter. Season the pork well. Add to the pan and caramelize it on all sides, until golden brown. Remove and set aside. Add the carrot and onion to the drippings. Cook and stir for two minutes. Add the sage stalks, then place the pork back into the pan, on top of the vegetables. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes, or until the the temperature of the meat reads 160*F for medium or 170*F for well done. Remove the pork from the casserole and set aside to rest.

Remove and discard the vegetables from the pan. Place the casserole back onto medium heat and add another knob of butter and the shallots and sage leaves. Cook until soft. Add the mushrooms. Cook until soft. Add the apples and cover with the chicken stock. Bring to the boil, then season. Add another knob of butter to thicken the sauce, and finish by adding the broad beans. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Serve with new potatoes if desired.

**Note: I could not find any wild mushrooms in my local shop when I went to make this, so used a mixture of crimini and white button mushrooms, which worked very well.

The first three images are from Tastes of Summer.

6 comments

  1. I'm with you on the broad beans, Marie - one of my most favourite summer foods. And, like you say, so pretty! This sounds and looks like a lovely meal, particularly for a lazyish weekend, perhaps...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie. Thank you so much for posting this today. I visited my brother in England a couple of years ago and he cooked broad beans freshly picked from his garden. They were delicious. Since my return to Aus. I bought a pack of frozen broad beans to cook and introduce my lovely husband to them. Sad to say they were awful. I didn't realise that you had to double peel them! They were so tough...ugh. Since I refuse to be beaten we have planted them in our garden this year and they are just setting pods. I am so looking forward to cooking them "correctly" and now I have your recipe to use to trial them. Thank you, thank you, thank you dear Lady :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice, elegant recipe today, Marie... I know hubby would love this one too! ;o) Happy Day, sweet friend--LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I have ever seen any broad beans that you could cook (and eat) in the pods and Keith thought the pods were inedible like rhubarb leaves!

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure what broad beans are.. are they limas? Anyway, it is so funny as I was writing my daybook, I said I would have to check Marie's for a recipe for pork chop and there you are with delicious offering this very
    day!You know what they say about great minds... think alike! I love your daybook, btw! You are so poetical in your writing! It gives me goose bumps to read your posts! Love your style, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, look absolutely tasty, love the picture and Im hungry!!! xoxoxox Gloria

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!