A Salad of Cherry Tomatoes and Olives . . .

Sunday 23 August 2009

One of the things that is both a pleasure and sometimes a pain in the month of August, is the inevitable glut of things in the garden. It seems that everything seems to ripen all at once and you spend days and hours searching for new and interesting ways to prepare them . . .

I mean . . . you can only make so many courgette loaves, before you are tired of them . . .



and only so many tomato tarts . . .



and just so many casseroles . . . Right now we are experiencing a tasty glut of lovely cherry tomatoes. I love tomatoes . . .



Especially cherry tomatoes . . . all that tasty ripe tomato goodness, concentrated into one tiny and delicious mouthful . . .

I could eat them like grapes . . .



and, I confess, I often do. I will have a huge bowl of them sitting on the counter, and within a few hours, I have whittled them away into half a bowl . . . ending up with nothing to show for it, but a smile on my face.

Ahh . . . summer . . . I hope it never ends, even though I know it must.



*A Salad of Cherry Tomatoes and Olives*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Sweet and tart with the flavours of delicious cherry tomatoes, black and green olives, herbs and delicious Balsamic vinegar . . . spring onions. Eat this with some crusty white bread on the side to mop up all those tasty juices.

40 or so cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup oil cured green olives, halved
1 cup oil cured black olives, halved
2 spring onions, chopped, green and white parts
3 ounces pine nuts, toasted
1 TBS good quality balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil, preferably greek
1 TBS dried oregano
1 TBS white sugar
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Place the tomatoes, olives and onions into a large bowl and mix together lightly with your hands. Whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, sugar and oregano. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Pour over the tomato mixture, adding the toasted pinenuts. Toss together lightly, till all are coated with the dressing. Chill for at least an hour before serving to allow the juices to form and the flavours to meld.

7 comments

  1. lovely juicy salad....full of antioxidants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this! We have a glut of cherry tomatoes in the garden and the olives change it up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think we've got a glut exactly but I can soon make one!!! Me and Bob-round-the-corner, we're like THAT. He's got the tomatoes and I don't mind using them for him! Mmmm this shall be our lunch today - Bob can have some too.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the simple goodness of this tasty recipe...mmm...Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie I really love this tomatoes salad, look sooooo tasty! I love tomatos. (kisses)gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie you have all my favorites in this salad and I drooling! Tomatoes are my favorite veggie, when I was a kid I use to eat olives like they were candy!!Lovin this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE tomatos! One can never have too many of those! :) Thanks for the yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!