Mince Pies

Wednesday 25 November 2009



When I was growing up in Canada, one of the things I really disliked at Christmas time was . . . Mincemeat. Oh, but it was horrid. That probably has something to do with the fact that it had real meat in it . . . ground beef . . . and ground beef made me want to gag. Mixed with raisins and other fruits, it made me want to gag even more . . .



Combine that with the interesting fact that my Aunt used to make her mincemeat out of venison that my Uncle shot every year, and I could never trust whether the mincemeat my mother was using had come from my Aunt or not . . . and I just could not face eating Bambi . . .

Aside from all that . . . it just didn't taste good to me . . . not at all. Never, no never . . .



Oh, how very different mincemeat is over here in the UK. I just love it and I can't get enough of it any time of the year, but MOST especially during the Christmas Season!!!

Filled with lovely bits of bramley apple . . . raisins . . . currants . . . sultanas . . . candied peel . . . not to mention lovely warm spices and oranges and lemons, chopped almonds . . . all bound together with soft dark brown sugar, brandy and suet . . . Just the thought of it gets my taste buds tingling.



I love them cold . . . all buttery and spicy sweet in my mouth.



They are a special treat when gently warmed . . . all meltingly delicious and crumbly, with lashings of brandy cream or custard . . . mmm . . .

I usually make my own, using Delia's Foolproof Recipe, but the grocery shops are full of wonderful mincemeat as well. Marks and Spencers make a really yummy luxury version.



There is nothing like spending an afternoon with a cd of Christmas Carols creating the festive mood whilst you bake lovely mince pies . . . the smell of them baking so homey and warm, the music . . . just so soul enriching . . . the cold wind outside buffeting the windows as the rain lashes against the glass . . . me all tucked up warm and cosy in the kitchen, my slippers padding across the floor and Jess stretched out and softly snoring on the carpet in front of the AGA . . .



Ahh . . . this has to be bliss. Can there be anything else on earth so wonderful??? I think not!



Well . . . eating them comes a close second, I do have to admit!




*Mince Pies*
Makes about 24
Printable Recipe

I just adore these delicious Christmas Treats! Crisp and buttery pastry encasing a delicious filling of spiced fruits, and dusted with icing sugar. Oh, so very wonderful. It just would not be Christmas without a breadbox filled with these!

560g mincemeat
(either homemade or storebought)
350g flour
pinch of salt
75g of cold butter, cut into bits
75g cold lard, cut into bits
ice water as needed
For the finish
some milk for brushing
sifted icing sugar for dusting

Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Drop in the butter and lard and rub it into the flour/salt mixture using your fingertips. Rub until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Add the ice water by the tablespoon, mixing in with a fork, until you get a dough that leaves the sides of the bowl clean. Shape into a ball, wrap in cling film and place in the refrigerator to rest for half an hour.

Roll half of the dough out 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured board. Cut it into 24 rounds with a 3 inch fluted pastry cutter. Place them into two lightly greased patty tins, lining the holes. Spoon a dessertspoon of mincemeat into each. Roll out the other half of the dough in the same manner, and cut out 24 rounds iwth a 2 1/2 inch cutter. Brush the edges of these rounds with a bit of water and then place them on top of the mincmeat filled patty tins to form lids. Press around lightly to seal. Brush the tops with a bit of milk. Prick with a fork if desired. Place on the top rack in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and crisp.

Remove from the oven and cool completely before disting with icing sugar. Store in an airtight container.

10 comments

  1. oh wow I miss Mince pies you did a great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness, Marie! I have NEVER liked mincemeat! My grandmother used to make it--I loved the smell and watching her make them, but I didn't like to eat them! Now, of course, they sound like the dreamiest thing imaginable! How do you do it??? Your powers of description are incredible! I now need your mincemeat pies or my Christmas will not be complete....! Guess I'll have to give it a go!

    What do you use for the suet? Can you even buy that anymore? Hope you have a lovely day...cozy and warm with all that wind and rain whipping around your home...stay dry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, on the other hand, adore mincemeat made with ground beef (but only MY mincemeat) and not so much the other. Perhaps I've just never had a good meatless mincemeat tart. Your's look great: think they'd survive a transatlantic voyage??

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great treat to kick off the Christmas holiday season, Marie...mmm... Thank you! Hope you've had a good day, my friend! :o) LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had mincemeat made with ground beef. How interesting that it is still made this way in Canada, the recipes must have come across with the pioneers. I'd be really interested to see a recipe for this if anyone has one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My oh my. These look so luxurious and so comforting on a dull and dark November day. Your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mince pies never, ever look good :(
    I always put too much mincemeat in so it all comes out making a right mess!
    Yours look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely jubly! Last year was my first year to make mince pies. Totally addicted now ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marie, I came by this recipe via the blog One Perfect Bite. I'd love to give mincemeat a try, particularly homemade, but the ingredients I can come by in my area of the USA are limited. Is there a particular online retailer from whom you would recommend I purchase a jar of mincemeat? Amazon.com sells all sorts, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to pick out a brand. I'm looking forward to trying your recipe for mince pies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Erin, I hope you stop back here to get your answer! Have you thought of making your own mincemeat? Here is the recipe that I always use:

    http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/mincemeat/home-made-christmas-mincemeat.html

    Delia is like the first lady of cookery over here in the UK. Her recipes are always sound. As for the mincemeat on Amazon, I know it is the most expensive one, but I think I would favour the Tiptree one. I have not used it, but their jams and jellies are the best, so I am betting that the mincemeat is excellent as well! Let me know how you get on!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!