Spaghetti Puttanesca

Wednesday 20 January 2010



I know Todd does not like pasta at all. Shame that . . . I, myself am a pasta lover and every once in a while this carboholic just has to indulge.




I think my favourite of all the pasta sauces has to be Puttanesca sauce. Not only does it use ingredients that I always have in my larder, but it goes together relatively quickly, lickety split!




I love it's gutsy spicy flavours . . . garlic, red chili, capers, olives, anchovies and of course tomatoes. Add to that some basil and seasoning, and you have the perfect sauce in my opinion.



When I make this I am in pasta heaven. I don't mind at all that I don't have to share it.



*Spaghetti Puttanesca*
Serves 2
Printable Recipe

One of my favourite sauces to serve with spaghetti. Gutsy and spicy and very moreish. Don't let the anchovies put you off. They melt into the sauce and you'd never know they were there, but they do add an wonderful flavour.

8 ounces dried spaghetti
a splash of olive oil
sea salt

For the sauce:
2 TBS olive oil
2 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 fresh red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
2 TBS chopped fresh basil
50g anchovies,drained
6 ounces pitted black olives, chopped
1 heaped TBS capers, rinsed and drained
1 415g tins of chopped Italian tomatoes
salt and black pepper to taste

Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese to serve

First make the sauce. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and chili. Cook, stirring until the garlic is a pale gold colour. Add the anchovies and the basil. Cook and stir until the anchovies melt into the oil. Add the remaining ingredients. Season with a bit of pepper, but hold off on the salt for the moment. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer and simmer gently for 35 to 40 minutes, until nice and thick. Taste and add a bit of salt if required

Once your sauce is ready bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add a splash of olive oil and some sea salt. Cook your spaghetti noodles al dente in this according to the package directions. Drain well. Toss the cooked pasta in the cooked sauce, mixing it together thoroughly. Serve in heated bowls with a good topping of freshly grated parmesan.

6 comments

  1. I've never tried a puttanesca sauce before...but you make it sound like a must-try! We all love pasta here--I think you should just visit and whip us up some pasta...and everything else you do so magically! We'd appreciate every calorie-laden bite!

    Love you loads, dear friend! Have a marvellous day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Puttanesca is definitely up there for me. Especially if I have really amazing anchovies and capers lying around...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your recipe is wonderful, Marie! This is one of my most favorite ways to prepare pasta...we have it often! The kicky flavors here make a simple meal so exciting! Happy Day, dear Marie--LOVE YA :o) ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, unfortunately, have to share my pasta. Twas not always so - then Keith realised he would starve to death if he didn't start eating his spaghetti!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!