Cod Fish Cakes and Tartar Sauce

Saturday 20 March 2010



We've packed most of the kitchen stuff away. I thought I would make these lovely fish cakes for supper tonight, before Todd packed my food processor away. They are so quick and easy to make.



This is a delightful and tasty way to serve cod fish. I like to make my own fish cakes if I can. They are so much nicer than store bought ones. Moist and flavourful on the inside, and crisp and brown on the outside, they are real family pleasers.



Cod has such a sweet and delicate flavour. The tarragon enhances it perfectly. I like to use a nice light crumb such as Panko. They gives a really crisp finish to the cakes.



You will want to make my tartar sauce to go along with them. These two go together like, well . . . peas and carrots!




*Cod Fish Cakes*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Delicious moist fish cakes, flavoured with tarragon, onion and hot pepper sauce. There are no fillers, just fish and seasonings.

3 TBS olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 pounds fresh cod, skin and bones removed
2 TBS finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
1 medium egg, lightly beaten
3 dashes tabasco sauce
fine dry bread crumbs
Tartar sauce to serve

Heat the oven to 100*C/225*F. Heat one TBS of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and translucent. Set aside.

Cut the fish into large chunks. Pulse in a food processor to coarsely chop. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add the onion, tarragon, egg and tabasco sauce, combining well. Add remaining salt and pepper. Form into 8 3 inch patties. Dredge them in the dry bread crumbs, coating well and shaking off any excess.

Heat 1 TBS of oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Cook 4 patties until browned, about 5 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove to a baking sheet, cover with aluminum foil, and keep warm in the oven while you cook the other four, using the remaining TBS of oil. Serve hot with tartar sauce.



*Horseradish Tartar Sauce*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

A delicious tartar sauce with the lovely tang of horseradish.

1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
2 TBS finely chopped cornichons
1 TBS prepared horseradish
2 TBS coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
6 TBS food quality mayonnaise (I use Hellman's or French Mayonnaise)
1 tsp lemon juice
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with fish.

18 comments

  1. O, these look good, Marie! I love horseradish, too--never thought to add it to tartar sauce--brilliant!

    I'm so sorry you're lovely kitchen is getting all packed away...I look forward to all the wonderful things you'll create in your new kitchen, however. It's just sitting there awaiting your magic, my friend!

    So much love sent to you tonight--don't work too hard. Hope you're getting enough rest along with all the packing and sorting...I'll see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What nice looking fish cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, yummy, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, we had crab cakes last Friday for a lenten dinner. I will definitely try these next! They look wonderful
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another dish for me to try when I get back to Ontario. I have no processor in this Bournemouth flat which I do miss. Also I have had a problem getting Panko breadcrumbs but I can back there. I can also make my own in the processor for other dishes! Five weeks to go and we fly back. Will miss things here but looking foward to being back.
    Happy moving!

    Pamela.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing like home made Tartar w/ our fish! Your duo looks sublime..
    I love your food;)~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so wonderful, this is going on next weeks menu for sure!
    Hugs
    Ma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious recipes to try. I just wondered what cornichons are? (They are in the tartar sauce recipe).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE cod fish and I make my own cod fish cakes though the recipe is a little different, I'm definitely giving yours a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love fish cakes Marie and these look very yummy! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terria, I hope that you come back to read this. Cornichons are tiny sour pickles, like gerkins. They usually come from France, but you could also use dill flavoured gerkins, which would work quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so gorgeous. I need to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUM!! These look so tasty! I'm bookmarking these to make them for my family. I just found your blog through La Bella Cook. You've got a great blog here & I'm now following. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to eat these straight off the screen, fab photos Marie. Love fish cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The food here is always so terrific. Is it me is are the pictures almost always out of foucus.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I use a macro setting anonymous when I do my photos and I blur the edges so that you can focus on what I actually want you to see, which in this case is the fish cakes, not the plate, or the chips or table behind. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made these tonight and my husband and I loved them. Even my 9 yo had a bite and said "YUUUUUM"! I only had a 12oz package but made up 9 out of that. When I make them again I will probably halve the Tarragon, only because it was just a bit too much for us. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!