A Mild Lamb Curry

Thursday 22 April 2010



Lamb was not something I really ate a lot of before I moved over here. I guess it was just not something that was readily available where I lived over in Canada, or maybe it was because it was not something that my mother ever really cooked when I was growing up.

She did try to cook some lamb chops one time, but they smelled like she was burning a pair of wool mittens when they were cooking, and none of us would touch them. That was my sum whole total experience of lamb.



After Todd and I got married our church Ward took us out for a meal about a week later to celebrate. One of the things on the menu at the restaurant was Roasted Lamb Loin with a Cumberland sauce. It sounded really good and I thought . . . . why not be brave and go for it.
I fell in love. Totally in love. The meat was sweet and tender and incredibly tasty.

Since then I have taken every opportunity to cook lamb when I can. I once did a slow roasted shoulder in the oven, using lemon and oregano and it was succulently delicious with some boiled potatoes. That reminds me . . . I need to do that again soon!



We had a delicious lamb curry one night for our tea last week and it was gorgeously tasty. Not too spicy . . . I don't like it when the spice in a dish masks the true flavours of what you are eating. The rich flavour of the lamb shone through in this, with just a hint of curry.

It was incredibly moreish served up with a Coriander Rice. I had thought there would be leftovers the next day for lunch . . . but it was gone right away. Totally gone. In fact . . . we licked the platter clean.




*A Mild Lamb Curry*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

A delicious gentle curry, creamy and mild. Serve with some tasty lime coriander rice.

2 tsp coriander seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
The seeds from 8 cardamom pods
4 whole cloves
3 TBS mild flavoured oil
4 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
1 KG of lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into ½ inch squares
2 tsp ground turmeric
4 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
1 TBS minced fresh ginger root
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
450ml of coconut milk
150ml of chicken stock
The juice of one lime

For the rice:
500g basmati rice
1 ounce butter
A large handful of fresh coriander, chopped
The grated zest of one lime
The juice of one lime
Salt and black pepper to taste

To make the curry, toast the seeds and whole cloves in a dry skillet until fragrant. Tip into a pestle and mortar and grind until fairly fine. Pour two TBS of the oil into a heavy based saucepan over high heat. Once hot, add the onions and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes. Scoop out to a bowl and set aside. Add the remaining oil and add the lamb, in batched, browning one batch on all sides before removing to the bowl with the onions and browning the rest. Don’t overcrowd the pan or your meat will not brown properly and will stew instead of sear.

Tip the onions and meat back into the pan along with the ground spices, the turmeric, garlic and ginger root. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Toss all together and then add the stock, coconut milk and lime juice, stirring and scraping any juicy bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about an hour, until very tender. Remove the lid and simmer for about 15 minutes longer. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.

While the curry is cooking cook the rice. Place the rice in a sauce pan with double the volume of salted water. Bring to the boil. Cover with a lid. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 to 12 minutes until the rice is completely cooked and all of the moisture has been absorbed. Remove the pan from the heat and let sit for about 10 minutes with the lid on. Stir in the butter, lime zest, lime juice and chopped coriander with a fork. Serve immediately with the curry.

12 comments

  1. Sounds delicious, Marie! I must admit...dare I?...I've never tried lamb! This recipe makes it seem worth a try, though! I've come to love curry so much...and coriander rice--that sounds wonderful!

    Todd must be a very happy hubby--so many amazing meals served up in his very own kitchen!

    Hope you're having a wonderful day--I'm about to head off to dreamland once again...much love to you tonight/today, my friend..."see" you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE lamb, your lamb curry looks delicious, I am definately going to try it.

    Are you all settled in to your new place now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is a great curry....the succulent lamb with all it's flavors shines through the spicy gravy....wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Que buen plato de carne con una salsita de curry. Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh that looks delish Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks wonderful, Marie--love the sauce! When I used to eat meat, I quite liked lamb. Hubby, he'll eat any meat still... LOL! Happy Day, my friend--LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delicious Marie. By the way, I made the warm potatoe salad the other night and it was delicious. My husband asked me when I was going to make it again. That never happens because I really don't repeat recipes too often. It's now on my list of favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had lamb curry with leftover lamb Sunday -- quite yum and my mother , after having fixed mutton in early married days, never fixed lamb again -- so I, too, grew up without tasting it -- it's an acquired adult taste. I'll try your recipe next time for curry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lamb is widely available in Canada - I know because unfortunately we ate it a lot when I was growing up! I didn't like it as a kid but I've learned to enjoy it as an adult. I especially like it slow-cooked so it falls apart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so excited to find your blog - I have done the reverse to you I am English and living in the USA lol I simply love curry, after all isn't it the staple diet of any english person lol cant wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love lamb shoulder and like to do it inthe slow cooker the day before, then I can take the fat off the juices before I make the gravy. One thing I really hate is the smell of lamb fat cooking so I cut off as much as poss beforehand. Imust say, I've never tried it spicy but it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum Yum! looking great! I grew up in Middle East and we used lamb a lot but I didn't learn how to appreciate it until recently. I guess it was made with a lot of fat, now I trim the fat and use spices for the real good taste!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!