Angel Pie

Monday 28 June 2010



Hot summer days call for light and refreshing meals and desserts. Just as soup warms the bones on a cold winter's day . . . there is nothing like lemon and a fresh chilled dessert to cool you off on an ultra hot summer's day!



We are getting really warm temperatures here in the UK right now. So hot, it's difficult to sleep at night . . . and the air lays still and close about you . . . nary a breeze stirring. You lay atop the covers. Sleep comes . . . finally . . . but it's not easy.



We have no appetite for cakes and hot pies . . . we crave something cool and refreshing . . .



Something light . . .



Like this delicious Angel Pie. A deliciously sweet meringue crust . . . light and ethereal . . .



Filled with lovely rich whipped cream with a tasty lemon layer in the middle, that is tangy and refreshing.

If you have lemons, eggs, sugar and cream in your kitchen. You have the makings of this wonderfully scrummy dessert. Perfect . . . just perfect!



*Angel Pie*
Serves 8
Printable Recipe

Easy, delicious and light. The perfect dessert for these hotter days of summer!

4 egg whites, room temperature
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
200g of caster sugar

Filling:
100g of caster sugar
the freshly grated zest of one lemon
the juice of one lemon
4 egg yolks

350ml of double cream

Prehet the oven to 120*C/250*F/ Gas mark 2. Butter a 10 inch pie dish very well. Set aside.

Whip the egg whites until stiff. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat, slowly adding the sugar. Beat until thick and glossy. Turn the meringue into the prepared pie dish, spreading it over the bottom and up the sides, allowing for edges at least 1/2 inch taller than the dish. Bake in the heated oven for 1 1/2 hours. Turn the oven off at the end of this time and allow it to cool on it's own in the oven slowly.

Whisk the egg yolks, 100g of sugar, zest and lemon juice in the top of a double boiler. Cook over simmering water until thick. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.

Once the meringue and lemon are totally cold, place the cream in a cold bowl. Whip until stiff. Place half of the whipped cream in the meringue shell. cover with the lemon and then top with the remainder of the whipped cream. Chill for several hours before eating.

You can top this with additional lemon zest, or grated chocolate, or sprinkles. Delicious, light and refreshing!!

17 comments

  1. Yum looks delicious and perfectly citrussy for a hot day. Like an upsidedown lemon meringue pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Marie! This looks and sounds absolutely devine. I'm drooling...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Que delicia, se ve increibe. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love meringue and this is a different take on the traditional- thanks Marie!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks soooo good Marie! I think it might be a contender for our garden party in August!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, YUM...yum, yum, yum... I just love this one, Marie! Thank you :o) ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie: This is saying "go into the kitchen and make me". I have all the ingredients. I am going into the kitchen and make it right now. Thanks so much!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. So summery and delicious Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OhMyGod (I never use this phrase), but OMG my taste buds are tingling just from looking at the photos. I want to make (no really I want to eat) that pie right now! Cheers! Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm liking the name of this recipe ;0)
    Is it anything like a lemon meringue pie though?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, Marie, I love the little ducks that are floating on top of the meringue of this, as you say, "scrummy pie." Where does one find these adorable toppers? So sweet! The pie looks great, as well!
    Oh, I hope you take along LOTS of mosquito repellant on your holiday. I read that Ontario, especially areas north and northeast of Toronto are experiencing the worst outbreak of those horrid mini beasts, since 2005. The blackflies are wreaking havoc as well. Are you going to Nova Scotia? That's a ways east of Ontario -- maybe the insects haven't made it that far yet. ::fingers crossed:: Then again, what's a few insects when you'll be having the time of your life. Enjoy your time with your family and friends. Wishing you and Todd a wonderful, safe journey. I wish I were going along with you. My Mom's from Buffalo, and I grew up in Erie, Pa -- 26 miles across Lake Erie to Ontario. I spent a LOT of time at Niagara Falls, Crystal Lake and Toronto during the summers of my youth. I LOVE Canada.
    Gosh, Marie, we have SO much in common. I, too, adored Hayley Mills when I was much younger -- her movies and music -- when I was 10, and my 6 year old sister and I sang "Johnny Jingle" at a Mother's Day pageant at a supper club . I love the Beatles, the Royal family, cobblestone streets, the English countryside and gardens, thatched roof cottages, the idea of a Dicken's Christmas, Harrod's and I've ALWAYS wanted to live there. Does Todd have a brother? ::smiling::

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks wonderful. Will have to try over our long weekend coming up!

    Oh, the little ducks are adorable too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not at all like a Lemon Meringue Pie Chele. The "crust" in this pie is meringue and there is only a thin layer of lemon in between layers of whipped cream. I guess it's like a cross between a pie and pavlova!

    ReplyDelete
  15. haha Debra, Todd does have a brother, but alas . . . he's married!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your photoes are so good, and my memories of this dish so strong, that I could taste every mouthful! Thanks for the deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  17. it's lovely!

    I live in Vancouver. The Sun newspaper has an Angel Pie recipe and I wanted to have a look at one, that's how i found you.

    I agree that English cooking is excellent and I'm grateful to have found your beautiful Angel Pie.

    waves from the old country!
    jane

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!