Cheeseburger Double Cheese Macaroni and Cheese

Friday 25 June 2010




Poor old Todd . . . First I torture him with Chocolate Fudge Brownie Pie . . . and then I torture him with Pasta.



Poor old Todd . . . altogether now . . . awwwwwwww . . . *sniff *sniff



It's a sad old life it is . . . made to eat yucky things like Chocolate Fudge Brownie Pie . . .



And pasta . . . in the form of the gooiest, scrummiest macaroni and cheese . . .



Topped with delicious burgers, sliced tomatoes, fried bacon and cheesy bread crumbs . . .



Poor old Todd. Didn't stop him from having two helpings though . . .




*Note* . . . no husbands were injured in the creation of this post. Any semblence to real life torture is only in his mind. Truly he did not suffer all too much.





*Cheeseburger Double Cheese Macaroni and Cheese*
Serves 4-6
Printable recipe

This double-cheese macaroni with tasty burgers on top will win you over. Under the crispy crumb topping is a robust, creamy blend of ingredients. Spring onions give it a tasty zing!!

2 ounces butter (1/4 cup)
45g flour (1/3 cup)
750ml milk (3 cups)
10 ounces strong cheddar cheese, grated (2 1/2 cups)
75g freshly grated Parmesan cheese (3/4 cup)
4 to 6 thinly sliced spring onions
dash of tabasco sauce
Salt and freshly ground pepper
12 ounces macaroni, cooked according to package directions and drained
3 slices of firm white bread, blitzed into crumbs
4 to 6 medium sized burger patties
2 to 3 ounces of additional cheddar cheese grated


Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ Gas mark 4. Butter a 2-quart baking dish.

Melt 2/3 of the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook, whisking for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and whisk in the milk. Cook and whisk over medium heat, stirring until the sauce boils and thickens. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, to cook the flour. Add the cheddar, Parmesan, spring onions, tabasco sauce, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste, stirring until the cheeses have melted. Fold in the cooked macaroni and remove from the heat. Scrape into the prepared baking dish.

Lightly brown the burger patties on both sides in a lightly greased nonstick skillet. Plate over top of the macaroni and cheese. Melt the remaining portion of butter. Mix into the bread crumbs along with the additional cheddar cheese. Sprinkle evenly over top of all. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned on top.

Note - You can add several tomatoes sliced, placing them on top of the burgers before baking and before adding the cheese/crumb mixture. I added some sliced fresh tomato and some streaky bacon on top of the burgers, beneath the cheese crumbs before baking. Delicious!!

9 comments

  1. Poor Todd! That's a great name, btw. My oldest son's name is Todd. :o) I hope your hubby wasn't too put out. Both of those recipes look yummy and are on my list of ones to try. Ooooh, I can't wait! Have a wonderful day!

    ~Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, delicious! I think I gained 10 lbs. just looking at the photos & reading the recipe!

    Marie--you do wonders with the simples of ingredients, my friend--this is amazing! My family will love it!

    Stealing a few moments to check in with my special friends...having a loud, crazy, absolutely marvellous time in Utah with my family...much love sent to you from the Rocky Mountains to beautiful England...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, my Ray would feel as tortured as Todd- the man doesn't like cheese! I mean really- what normal, sane person doesn't like cheese??!! As an Italian, it flows in my veins! My children will LOVE this (so will I) YUM!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel so sorry for Todd and would like to volunteer to eat the brownies and the cheeseburger double cheese macaroni dish for him. I've been relishing a trip abroad anyway!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor old Todd indeed, what about us? You tortured us recently all the way from lemon biscuits through the fudge cake and now this, macaroni and cheese! Don't stop, please!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "poor Todd" dear Marie, ha,ha, dear I vad many porblems but Im here again, Missed you, this dish look absolutely yummy and tasty! Nice pictures! Send you huggs and kisses my dera, Have you and Todd a nice and lovely weekend, hugs gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a meal! sounds so bad and good at the same time; I want some of that.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  8. goodness me Marie - this looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the kind of food that I'd love to eat but can't (calories!) but the thing is your post has made it tempting again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!