Chocolate Amuse-Bouche

Wednesday 30 June 2010



Today I have been in the enviable position of having to try to use up things in my refrigerator as I am off on my summer hols this afternoon!

Yes, three weeks in the Costa Del Canada . . . fun, sun, and relaxation, and lots of family times with my children, grandchildren and parents. I can't wait!!! It's been three years since I have been to Nova Scotia, so it will be really nice to catch up with my loved ones.



Anyways, I had some eggs to use up and butter, and cream . . . oh and chocolate . . . ahem . . .



Ok, so I didn't really need to use up the chocolate. I wanted to use up the chocolate.



These are perfect little decadent party cakes. Small amuse-bouche . . . well . . . technically an amuse bouce is an hors d'ouevres, but . . . well . . . who says a tiny two bite, rich and dense chocolate cake covered in chocolate ganache can't be amusing???? or a bouche for that matter!!



Not to quibble, a rose by any other name and all that . . . these are fabulous!



Ideally you should also wait for at least two hours for them to set up, but . . . umm . . . I just couldn't wait. Patience is clearly not one of my virtues, but I'm working on it.



Chocolate . . . it's my only weakness . . .



*Chocolate Amuse Bouche*
Makes 24 mini cakes
Printable Recipe

Delicious little two bite mouthfuls of rich chocolate cake. Rich and satisfying and topped with a lucious chocolate ganache. Pretty little summertime party favours.

6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
8 ounces unsalted butter (1 cup)
11 ounces of caster sugar (1 1/2 cups plus 1 TBS)
3 3/4 ounce of plain flour (3/4 cup)
2 TBS cornflour
1/4 tsp salt
4 large free range eggs

Chocolate Ganache
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
150ml of heavy cream (2/3 cup)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/Gas mark 4. Line two 12 cup patty tins, or mini muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside.

Place the chocolate for the cakes into a bowl. Melt the butter until it is very hot, and then pour it over top of the chocolate. Let sit for a few minutes and then whisk until smooth. Whisk together the sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt in a small bowl. Add to the chocolate mixture in three batches, whisking well after each addition. Beat in two of the eggs, whisking them well and then add the remaining two eggs, whisking just until incorporated. Try not to over mix.

Pour the batter into a large measuring cup and the pour the batter into each muffin cup, filling them 3/4 full. Bake in the heated oven just until the cakes start to crack on the top, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack and then remove from the tin to finish cooling completely.

To make the ganache, place the chocolate in a glass heatproof bowl. Place the cream into a saucepan and bring just to the boil. Pour all at once over the chocolate. Let sit for a couple of minutes and then stir gently with a rubber spatula until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.

Dip the tops of the cakes into the chocolate ganach, allowing any excess to run off the side. Return to the wire rack and allow to set. This will take about an hour. Don't be tempted to place them in the refrigerator as this will cloud the ganache.

If you like you can melt some white chocolate or milk chocolate to drizzle over the top to decorate.

I'll be back in about 3 1/2 weeks!! Try not to miss me too much. I promise to make up for my absence in August . . . with a lot more delicious recipes, good cooking, and fine food!

22 comments

  1. Delicious, have a great trip

    ReplyDelete
  2. you mischevious madam:) Leaving us with such temptation, gorgeous recipe thank you.
    Have a wonderful trip, hope it lasts foreverish instead of passing in a flash.

    Hugs

    Sheilagh

    ReplyDelete
  3. EStupendas, tienen que estar deliciosas. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look gorgeous! Problem with amuse-bouche though is that one needs at least four before you feel satisfied!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, have a fabulous time! You will be missed
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I've just gained 10lbs trying to lick my computer screen, LOL ;)

    Have a safe and fun trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a wonderful trip! I enjoy your blog so much and can't wait to hear about your adventures. I put a link on my last blog post at http://turkeycreeklavender.blogspot.com so I could share all of your great ideas with my friends! One of my fave words is also scrummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look fantastic, Marie! I always love a wee bite of something sweet after a meal and these would fit the bill nicely. I hope that you have the most wonderful trip to Nova Scotia! I haven't been there, yet....but I will, someday. Big hugs and safe travels! xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are evil! I must make these RIGHT NOW!!! For breakfast! Have a wonderful vacation, looking forward to your return!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photographs are just gorgeous, I can nearly taste the runny, dripping chocolate! Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy travels dear Marie - enjoy every precious moment!
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back home! I know you will love it of course. Hope you get a chance to get on line and tell us about your trip.
    Hugs
    Rita from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a wonderful time. I'm off to Canada for six weeks on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was wishing I could reach thru the monitor and take one of the sweets for myself

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great little recipe, delicious. I always 'use up' the chocolate when I don't really need to! Have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good Lord, Marie! These must be absolute heaven! Utterly irresistable, that's what they would be for me!
    :) Jane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marie, I hope you have a wonderful time in Nova Scotia . Your posts will be much missed. You have had some wonderful recipes which we have tried and love.
    Your Country Chicken recipe is on our menu for tonight and I hope to make one of your desserts soon. Have fun and we all look forward to your return.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness those look so moist and scrumptious! I just love the recipes you share.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nova Scotia. Sounds wonderful. And so do these littel tasty treats.

    have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look fantastic, but then so do all of your recipes. Not sure if I've commented on your blog yet but I've been lurking and eying up your recipes for a little while and wondering how I'll find the time to make them all. Every time I think I've found the absolute best I scroll down and find one even better! Thank you for bringing a taste of England to us Anglophiles stranded here in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for sharing such a beautiful information i will share this with my pals

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!