Sour Cherry and Almond Breakfast Buns

Friday 4 June 2010



The next time you have company for the weekend that you want to easily impress . . . or even if you are just looking for something special to thoroughly spoil the Mr and the kidlets with for a change . . . try out these.

Delectably scrummy Sour Cherry and Almond Breakfast Buns.



Tasty little breakfast cakes, composed of a light almond flavoured rich cream cheese batter, with little pockets of sour cherry jam throughout and a crunchy topping of toasted almonds.

Can you say M-O-R-E-I-S-H???



It is pretty difficult to say with a mouth full of scrumptious cake, jam and toasted nuts . . . but . . . you can do it if you really try . . .



Served barely warm, these are heavenly to say the least . . .



Even cold they are pretty delectable . . .



I'd wager to say a couple of days old, toasted and crumpled into a bowl with lashings of cream . . .
they'd be even better . . . hmmmm . . . do ya think????



Naaahhh . . . they'll never last that long. Ohhhh baby . . .



*Sour Cherry and Almond Breakfast Buns*
Makes Printable Recipe

These are very moist muffins with lovely sour cherry preserves swirled throughout and a crunchy almond topping.

245g plain flour (1 3/4 cups)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
8 ounces cream cheese (1/2 pound)
4 ounces unsalted butter, softened (1/2 cup)
200g caster sugar (1 cup)
2 large free range eggs, at room temperature
2 ounces milk (1/4 cup)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract

Topping:
125g sour cherry conserve (approx 1/2 cup)
4 TBS flaked almonds
Sifted icing sugar

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/Gas mark4. Grease and flour 9 large muffin cups. (I use a Texas size muffin pan and a couple ramekins)

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Set aside. Stir together the milk and extracts.

Cream together the cream cheese, butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Whisk in the dry ingredients, alternately with the milk. Spoon into the prepared pans, filling them about 2/3 full. Drop three small dollops of jam on the top of each, trying not to touch the sides. Swirl through the batter with a round bladed knife. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until well risen and when the top springs back when lightly touched. Remove from the oven. Let stand in the pan for about 5 minutes or so before removing. They will fall a bit, but that's ok! Allow to cool for about half an hour before sprinkling the tops with sifted icing sugar and serving. Delicious!

12 comments

  1. Que delicia de magdalenas, muffins. Se ven esponjosos y muy sabrosos. un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sono deliziosi, grazie per la ricetta :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen recipes using sour cherries popping up quite a bit recently in the blogging world - maybe I should give them a try! These cakes look wonderful ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my Dad will love these! And I think scrummy is my new favorite word! :)
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, do you ever cook! and well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just watched the movie, Julie/Julia with Myrle Streep this week and thought of you. If you haven't seen it you should. Last night Enno made asperges, the Dutch, Belgian, French way and they were yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum! And you say these are for breakfast?!? Can I come over...please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. NOW, I know exactly what I'm going to make for my kids for their last day of school on Wednesday ~ hooray! They {and I must confess, THEIR MOM} will adore these lovelies! You, my friend, are just so very creative in the kitchen. I definitely need to get your cook book!!! Have a lovely lovely Friday, Marie! xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...these sound DELISH !!! Can't wait to try them.
    Oh, and I am signing up to follow you. :))
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  10. Send some over for my breakfast please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. these look amazing! i love the photos and i love sour cherries... i don't think i need the excuse of guests to make these for at all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh boy, add a glass of milk and I think I could eat them all on my little ownsome :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!