Blueberry Almond Cookies

Thursday 26 August 2010



When my children were growing up I had a cookie jar in my kitchen that was never empty. I think I baked fresh cookies about every second day or so.



They had their favourites of course! (As did I!) I think chocolate chip topped the list, followed very closely by oatmeal raisin and peanut butter.



At Christmas I would spend weeks and weeks baking up extra goodies for our holiday celebrations and popping them into the freezer. That way I could present our friends and their families with trays filled with a variety of baked goodies, as well as having plenty of treats to munch on in our own home!



Then there were the special cookies. You know the kind I mean . . . slightly elegant and subtly special . . .reserved for special occasions such as baby and bridal showers and afternoon teas.



These fall into that category. They have to be the most delicious cookies ever . . . I kid you not!



There is no egg in them, so they are perfect for people who are allergic to eggs. They have an almost macaroon like consistency . . . crisp around the edges and slightly chewy in the middle . . .



Chock full of lovely dried blueberries and almonds . . . drizzled with sweet white chocolate. Bet you can't eat just one!!



*Blueberry Almond Cookies*
Makes 24
Printable Recipe

These just may be the best cookies you have ever tasted! Very similar to a macaroon in texture and oh so scrummy!

90g unsalted butter, softened (1/3 cup)
170g caster sugar (3/4 cup)
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 TBS milk
125g plain flour (1 cup)
1/2 tsp baking powder
80g ground almonds (3/4 cup)
50g of dried blueberries (1/3 cup)
melted white chocolate for drizzling

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Line two baking trays with parchment paper. Set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the almond, vanilla and milk. Whisk together the flour and baking powder. Stir into the creamed mixture along with the ground almonds. Stir in the blueberries. Mix well to form a soft dough.

Using your hands squeeze together 2 teaspoon measures of the dough into oval logs about 2 inches long. Place at least an inch and a half apart on the baking sheets.

Bake for 15 minutes, turning the baking sheet around halfway through the baking time. They should be lightly golden along the edges. Allow to cool on the pans for about 10 minutes before removing to finish cooling on a wire rack.

Melt some white chocolate and drizzle over top. Store in a tightly covered container.

11 comments

  1. omg these look sooooooo good! thats it...im making them...COPY! Not right now of course though...its really late!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum! Marie, they look just perfect! This is so funny, because this morning I was looking at my large, very empty glass cookie jar on the counter, and vowed that it would be empty no longer! I think I may have to try these little sweeties to fill it up!

    Thank-you for always inspiring me and giving me so many things to smile about. Love you loads, dear friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blueberry & almonds---just about perfect! I love cookies with a frosting or glaze... extra decadence! ;o) Great recipe, Marie... Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know there's a punnet of blueberries somewhere in the freezer; time they were excavated!

    OK, how many bites of this cookie did you have to take in the interests of science?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was sold at Blueberry and Almonds. I love that combination, but then you drizzle white chocolate too. How decadent! It's great to know that there are no eggs, I have a nephew allergic to eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can understand how these were saved for special occasions. They look so pretty with the white chocolate drizzled over the top. Just my cup of tea ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello you kitchen goddess! Just stopped by for a cuppa and a favor...

    I've entered a contest to win a role on the retro-fabulous TV show "Mad Men" - but I need your votes to win!

    If you don't mind taking two seconds to vote for me, please go to my blog or use the link below, which takes you right to my photo page.

    http://madmencastingcall.amctv.com/browse/detail/EZ3MBH

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie, these sound GORGEOUS. I'll be making them TODAY!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are THE BEST COOKIES and I am NO LYING one bit!!! I have made them a lot since I found this recipe here. I love your site and your recipes. Next I'm trying the Lemon Friands. There are so many recipes here I'm going to try. Thank you MARIE RAYNER! 💝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU! You made my day! You will love the Lemon Friands. xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!