Fruit and Nut Scrolls

Wednesday 4 August 2010



Occasionally I like to bake something really special for an extra special treat.
Something deliciously different than the usual cake or cookies.



Something unique and fantabulously tasty. Something like these light and tasty, spiral shaped, quick rolls!



Oh my but they are delicious . . .



Just imagine, if you can, a soft fluffy buttermilk scone dough, rolled out and spread with a scrummy spicy fruit and nut mixture, and then rolled up tightly like a Swiss Roll.



Cut into slices and baked until delicately brown, and then glazed with an apricot glaze and drizzled with a sweet icing.



Can you say S-C-R-U-M-M-Y????



mmmm . . . mmmm . . good . . . Just PERFECT for elevenses or as an extra special teatime treat!!!



Best eaten on the day . . . NOT a problem!!



*Fruit and Nut Scrolls*
Makes about 18
Printable Recipe

Quick and tasty spiral buns, filled with a deliciously spicy fruited filling!

for the buns:
450g self raising flour (3 1/4 cups)
2 tsp caster sugar
50g butter (1/4 cup)
330ml of buttermilk (1 1/3 cups)

For the filling:
40g sultanas (1/2 cup)
35g currants (1/2 cup)
50g chopped stoned prunes (1/2 cup)
1 medium apple, peeled and finely chopped
2 TBS flaked almonds
2 tsp grated orange rind
2 TBS orange juice
1/3 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp rum or brandy
50g soft light brown sugar (a heaping 1/3 cup)

Apricot glaze:
2 TBS apricot jam
2 tsp water

For the glaze:
55g icing sugar (a heaped 1/2 cup)
1 tsp hot water

Preheat the oven to 200*c/400*f/ GAS MARK 6. Butter several baking sheets. Set aside.

Combine all the filling ingredients in a bowl, mixing together well. Set aside.

Sift the flour into a bowl. Whisk in the sugar. Drop in the butter and then rub it into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Stir in the buttermilk to mix to a soft sticky dough. Turn out on a floured surface and lightly knead until smooth. Pat or roll out into a rectangle about 10 1/4 inches by 14 1/4 inches in size. Spread with the fruit mixture leaving a small border on the far long side. Roll up from the long side nearest you, firmly, like a Swiss roll. Press the far edge onto the roll to seal. Using a sharp knife, cut into 3/4 inch thick slices and place, cut side up on the greased baking sheets.

Bake in the heated oven for about 15 minutes, until well risen and lightly browned on the edges.

Remove from the oven. Heat together the apricot jam and water, strain through a sieve to remove any lumps. Brush over the tops of the buns.

Combine the icing sugar and hot water in a bowl until smooth. Using a small spoon, drizzle this icing over the scrolls in an attractive manner. Enjoy!

Note : if you prefer, you can use 380g of fruit mincemeat instead of the filling in this recipe. That's about 1 1/2 cups.

12 comments

  1. Oh Marie. It's 11 p.m. here and now I want to bake. You do it to me every time. These look SO good
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can say SCRUMMY!!! They certainly look delectable! I want to get baking now, too--not good for 10 pm!

    Hope you're enjoying a wonderful day, my dear friend...So much love sent your way!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm these are making me hungry even though I've just had porridge for my breakfast- I know I'd have preferred one of your pastries with a cup of tea.

    Do *you* have to have them with coffee or tea?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emmalene, I'm a Mormon so I don't drink coffee or tea, but they do go very well with hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A marvel of sweet.
    Grettings from Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Çok leziz ve iştah açıcı görünüyor. Ellerinize,emeğinize sağlık.

    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely have to make these... and soon, these are just up my street! So pretty and elegant they are too. I think I'll make these next time the family is over. Thank you, Marie! LOVE YOU HEAPS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does look Fantabulous I must say. Your photos are so nice;I feel I could reach into my computer and pick one up.
    Now that was fun;I;ll hve mine with tea please.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look yummy and quite festive. I bet they would be great to serve at Christmas for people who don't like mince pies

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've not made scrolls for ages - defo going to have to fix that situation at the weekend. These look wonderful and sticky, just the way a scroll should be ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi When I look at these photos, I can imagine exactly how these taste! I'm in the middle of making Danish at the moment and I think this filling would go beautifully, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!