Lemon Pound Cake with a Blueberry Sauce

Sunday 22 August 2010

Lemon Pound Cake with a Blueberry Sauce 




 They had the loveliest unwaxed lemons in Morrisons today.  All plump and yellow and heavy. 


 Of course I could not resist. I just had to buy a big bagful. You can never have too many lemons . . .

 Am I right??? That's my motto anyways!



  Lemon Pound Cake with a Blueberry Sauce




Lemons are something that I always have lots of  in my house.

They sit in a bowl on my countertop, just waiting for me to turn them into something delicious . . .



  Lemon Pound Cake with a Blueberry Sauce




Somedays it's a pudding or a pie. 

Don't you just love Lemon Sponge Pudding and Lemon Meringue Pie???

I can never get enough of these two classics! 




  Lemon Pound Cake with a Blueberry Sauce 



 Or maybe some biscuits . . . or a lovely sticky lemon loaf,

Perhaps a lemon drizzle cake, or two or three.


  Lemon Pound Cake with a Blueberry Sauce 




 Could be some ice cold lemonade,  perfect for hot summer days.

Maybe a tasty salad dressing . . . full of lovely lemon flavours and herbs . . .


  Lemon Pound Cake with a Blueberry Sauce 




 Or Lemon Posset. Oh my but that is a real favourite of mine, every bazillionth calorie of it . . . 



 Is it possible that I have not made it for a whole year??? Say it ain't so . . . but tis true! I must make some soon!




  Lemon Pound Cake with a Blueberry Sauce 



 There are truly oodles and oodles of possibilities, but today I settled for a simple Lemon Pound Cake, all buttery and rich,

Topped with a lucious lemon buttercream frosting . . . and accompanied by a delicious blueberry sauce.


Just to give it that extra little something . . . lemons and blueberries are very good friends.

  Lemon Pound Cake with a Blueberry Sauce 






 Very good friends indeed!  They are the perfect companions.

Every mouthful of this was divine . . . truly divine. This IS bliss . . .



  Lemon Pound Cake with a Blueberry Sauce 




  *Lemon Pound Cake with a Blueberry Sauce* 
Serves 12 to 16


A delicious lemon scented buttery cake, topped with a lovely lemon butter icing and served with a blueberry sauce. Heaven. 


 For the cake: 

250g (9ounces) butter, softened 
250g (1 1/2 cups) caster sugar 
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest 
1 tsp vanilla extract 
4 large free range eggs 
250g (2 cups) self raising flour, sifted 


 For the lemon butter icing: 
3 TBS butter 
110g (3 3/4 ounce) icing sugar, sifted (scant cup)
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest 
2 tsp fresh lemon juice 

 For the Blueberry Sauce: 
200g fresh blueberries (about 2 cups) 
1 TBS water 
25g caster sugar (a scant 1/4 cup) 
the grated zest of one lemon 


 Preheat the oven to 350*C/180*F/gas mark 4. Butter and line the base of a deep 8 inch square cake tin with baking paper. Set aside. 

 Cream together the butter and sugar with an electric whisk until pale and creamy. Beat in the lemon zest and the vanilla. 

 Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating only until just combined after each addition. 

 Fold the sifted flour into the batter in two batches. 

 Spread the batter into the prepared baking tin and level off. 

 Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until nicely risen and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. If you think it is getting too dark, cover loosely with some foil wrap.

 Cool for 10 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. 

 To make the blueberry sauce, place all of the ingredients into a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer over low heat just until the berries begin to burst, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature. 

 To make the icing beat the butter with an electric whisk until very soft and white. Beat in the icing sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Spread over the top of the cake. 


 Serve the cake cut into squares with the blueberry sauce spooned out on the side. 

13 comments

  1. My husband will love this...not to mention so will I!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is the only food blog I read....think its because you have a lovely sense of place as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely pound cake. I adore lemon in my baked goods and will definitely be trying this. Your images of this pound cake, especially with the blueberry sauce, are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodeness - you are spoling us!! I could go a nice slice of that cake right about now, perfect afternoon tea on a Sunday arvo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie this look absolutely fantatsic and tempting! I love bueberries specially with lemon, lovely dessert.
    Dear Marie send you hugg to you, your sweet baby (Mitzie) and Todd, Love ya dear, huggsss! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this cake for my husband for Fathers Day, and it was fantastic. Recently out of the hospital and trying to be ME again after months of health issues, making this cake was the most fun I've had in weeks!! THANK YOU!!

    April Phillips

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a lovely recipe and I shall make it very soon. I do have to say that your current background makes reading your blog VERY difficult - might be worth a rethink as a lot of good info is probably being missed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AllsClear the blue background is laying behind a white background upon which the writing is laying upon. You may not be giving the page long enough to load properly. There has always been a white background behind the writing. Having writing on top of the blue background would just be insane!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! My mouth is watering! Lemon is my all time flavor anything. I just love your blog and your recipes! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. This really is a lovely cake! You are very welcome! xo

      Delete
  10. Marie. Do you measure the ingredients after you sift them or before? My favorite cake is a pound cake so I don't want to mess this up. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sifted the measured flour after it was measured, but I did it by weight. It really is a lovely cake. I hope that you enjoy it! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!