Lemon Yogurt Loaf

Friday 6 August 2010



Well, we are still cooking with yogurt here. I have that much of it, I'll be a while getting through it and I positively don't want to waste any of it. Total Yogurt is such a lovely, thick and rich brand of Greek yogurt, so I'm not complaining!!

I had a lot of lemons that were getting close to their use by date and so I thought I would try making a Lemon Loaf with it.



Mmmm . . . great call! Yogurt in baked goods helps to create a lovely moist and rich crumb. In fact you can subsitute yogurt for sour cream or creme fraiche in most baked goods quite successfully!



This is a wonderful lemon loaf, with just the merest hint of lemon in the actual loaf part . . . it goes so well with vanilla. The combination of lemon and vanilla is a real favourite of mine. It helps to bring out the inate sweetness of baked goods, without you having to use a lot of sugar, or at least that is what I find to be true!



You get a real double blast of lemon in the topping, which is where it really shines, both with an undercoating of a sugar lemon syrup and a final crowning of lemon drizzle icing.



Oh my, but this is some good. So good in fact that I am going to skip summer tonight and just have some more of this luciously scrumdiddlyumptious loaf!!



I know . . . ME <=== BAD. But in a good way, doncha think? ☺ I'm with Marie Antoinette. Cake for supper . . . it's a very good thing!



*Lemon Yogurt Loaf*
Makes one large loaf
Printable Recipe

Moist and lemony, with an underglaze of sweet and tart lemon syrup, topped with a lemon glaze drizzle icing!

210g of plain flour (1 1/2 cups)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
200g of full fat Greek yogurt ( 1 cup)
7 ounces of sugar (1 cup)
3 large free range eggs
the finely grated zest of 2 unwaxed lemons
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 ounces vegetable oil (1/2 cup)

For the sugar glaze:
the juice of 1 lemon
5 TBS sugar

For the Drizzle Icing:
140g of icing sugar, sifted (1 cup)
2 TBS fresh lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter a large loaf tin. Line with parchment paper and butter the paper. Set aside.

Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Whisk together the yogurt, and sugar in another larger bowl. Beat in the eggs, lemon zest and the vanilla. Slowly whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Fold in the oil, using a rubber spatula, making sure to get it all in smoothly. Pour into the loaf tin. Level off and then place on a centre rack in the heated oven.

Bake for about 50 minutes, or until well risen and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Whhile it is baking, heat the lemon juice and sugar for the glaze together until the sugar is completely dissolved.

Allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before removing. Place on a wire rack over a baking pan and spoon the glaze over top, allowing it to soak in a little at a time. Allow to cool completely.

whisk the icing sugar together with the lemon juice and drizzle over the top of the loaf. Allow to set. Cut into slices to serve.

20 comments

  1. Just found you and I am in love with the yumminest of your beautiful blog...plus lemon loaf is our family favourite..and yours looks amazing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I have almost the same recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ne kadar leziz ve iştah açıcı görünüyor.Ellerinize sağlık.

    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my goodness! If I had some fresh lemons I'd have to whip this up immediately! What a wonderful looking sweet bread!

    You always manage to work magic in your kitchen, Marie--wish I could just knock on your door and sit at your kitchen table with you...that would be so wonderful!

    At least I can visit like this, and try to recreate the delicious things you create so far away...much love to you tonight, my friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. lemons and vanilla ...can't go wrong with them...haven't met a person who doesn't love them...the loaf looks so moist...we have lots of varieties of yoghurt in my country and can't imagine eating breakfast or dinner without it...there is a liquid kind, and the one that sits in a cup like fruit yoghurts...and sour cream alll kinds of varieties...I'll just have to check the consistency and the saltiness of the greek kind, it can't be much different since we are so close near by. But the flavours of milk products differ a lot from country to country...I can't drink the Austrian Alpine milk its too different, but when you grow up on it it's all you know and love...the one things I missed in the states is having a great glassof my countries yoghurt....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehehe - its kinda fun trying to find ways to use up all that yogurt isn't it. I love lemon loaf made with yogurt, so moist and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Este bizcocho se ve maravilloso, que delicia. Saludos. Me copio tu receta

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, you're doing your job! 5 minutes ago I hadn't ever thought about making a cake with yoghurt and now I'm wondering if I've got time to make it to the shops in order to make this for tea time.

    This is such a lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious and so moist. WHo could resist all that drizzly lemon icing too - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing wrong with cake for supper- I may just join you! This looks luscious!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds wonderful! I will have to try this when my husband's swallowing gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whenever I go to Italy they always have lemon pound cake from breakfast. I have tried several recipies and still have not found a good one. I'm going to give this a try as it looks moist and most of the ones I've tried are dry.

    Thanks for the recipe.

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely recipe! Yoghurt/lemon seems to be a fantastic combination - it never ever fails. I love the generous icing drizzling over the sides of your cake. It's cooked to perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a moist and delicious cake - I recently discovered your blog, and I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oooooo that looks delicious!!!!! I love lemon especially in the summer

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Marie!
    I'm off on holiday
    at my parent's
    home, but I had
    to swing in and
    see what you were
    cooking up! And
    so glad that I did.
    This looks absolutely
    scrumptious!!!
    Hope you are enjoying
    these days of August,
    sweet friend!
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. G'day! I could not help but be drawn in by the lemons and yogurt! I have saved the recipe for definately future use!
    Due to health, was wondering could I substitute Spenda for the sugar? Thanks!
    Always love the see photos how foods actually look!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cannot give you a definitive answer re the splenda Joanne, one can but try and see what happens. Let us know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your pictures. What a wonderful, lemony loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My mouth is watering when I lok at the pics and recipe. But I hesitate a lot to use baking soda or baking powder.
    Nice blog anyways...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!