Raspberry Celebration Cake

Saturday 14 August 2010



You only turn fifty five once and yesterday was my turn! I don't know how I got to be that age, but nevermind . . . somehow it happened. I'm now officially a Senior Citizen . . . at least back in Canada at any rate!



I wasn't going to bake myself a cake . . . but then, I broke down and baked one anyways. I had lots of things to celebrate after all.



My Birthday of course! I reckon fifty five is a milestone. (Even if the Queen doesn't send me a card.)



A clean bill of health from my Doctor!



And the arrival of a furry little bundle of joy, which we have named Mitzie.



Life is good and so is this cake. A deliciously buttery sponge, filled with fresh raspberries and baked into two moist layers. Sandwiched together with a lovely vanilla butter cream icing and some seedless raspberry jam, and then drizzled with more sweetness. This is one very moreishly scrummy cake.



In fact I think I'll have some for breakfast . . . cake for breakfast is a good thing . . . besides this one is stogged full of fruit. And fruit is good for you.



shhh . . . don't burst my bubble!



*Raspberry Celebration Cake*
Cuts into 12 scrummy slices
Printable Recipe

This is the cake I always bake for summer birthdays. A light moist sponge, filled with lovely raspberries, butter cream icing and seedless raspberry preserves. Top with a sweet glaze and serve with more raspberries.

For the Cake:
175g of caster sugar (3/4 plus 1/8 cup)
175g of butter, softened (13 TBS)
4 large free range eggs, separated
100g self raising flour (a scant 3/4 cup)
1 tsp baking powder
100g ground almonds (1 scan't cup)
a few drops of almond extract
125g of fresh raspberries (a heaped cup)

For the buttercream:
75g of butter, softened (1/4 cup approx.)
125g icing sugar, sifted (about 3/4 cup)
few drops vanilla

For the glaze:
100ml icing sugar sifted (1/3 cup approx.)
water to thin

Also about 4 heaped dessertspoons of seedless raspberry jam

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/Gas mark 4. Butter two 8 inch sandwich cake tins. Line the bottoms with parchment paper. Set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks. Sift the flour and baking powder over the creamed mixture and then fold in using a metal spoon. Fold in the ground almonds and exract. Fold only until all traces of the flour have disappeared.

Beat the egg whites until they just hold their shape. Fold them in gently, by thirds, being careful not to overmix and lose the lightness of the whites. Lightly fold in the berries. Divide between the two prepared cake tins and level off carefully.

Bake in the heated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, just until they test done. A toothpick inserted in the centre should come out clean and they should spring back when lightly touched on top.

Remove from the oven. Let cool in the tins for five minutes, then tip out onto wire racks, peel off the baking paper and allow to cool completely.

Make the buttercream by beating together all the ingredients until smooth and creamy.

Place one cake, bottom side up on a cake plate. Spread completely with all the buttercream. Spread the raspberry jam over top of the buttercream and then top with the other cake layer, placing it right side up. Whisk together the icing sugar for the glaze and enough water to make a smooth drizzable mixture. Drizzle decoratively over the top of the cake. Allow to set, then dust with more icng sugar if desired.

26 comments

  1. Çok leziz ve çok güzel olmuş ellerinize sağlık.
    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I can hardly wait to bake this one. I love rasberries and I love cake so the two together anyway it will be on my to do list. My daughters birthday is next week end I know what she is having!
    Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! I don't know which is more pretty, your wonderful looking birthday cake or your oh so sweet bundle of joy. You really did get to celebrate in style ;0)
    Hope you had a fantastic day Hun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, this looks to die for! I'm definately making this one, I know everyone will love it!
    Love to you, Todd and Mitzie too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday.
    Mitzie is adorable; wish I could talk my husband into getting one. your cake sure looks good; cake for breakfast, why not?
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM....Happy Birthday! Your cake looks heavenly. There is only 1 thing better than cake (and coffee) for breakfast and that is pie (and coffee), lol!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. CANDLES? Where are the candles?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie, I think I'll save this one for my next birthday! Hope you had a spectacular day! And Mitzie is just too sweet!
    xoxo pattie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good, Marie. And the puppy is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GORGEOUS cake... and BEAUTIFUL Mitzie! You have much to celebrate, Marie... I am so happy for your. :o) Glad you've been having a wonderful birthday. Hope the celebration stretches out all weekend! LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Belated Happy Birthday, Marie.
    Mitzie is adorable! What a cute puppy.
    How funny. I ate a very similar cake at "D Bar" yesterday. This is a very popular dessert place here in Denver. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday! Great news on the clean bill of health. This cake looks yummy, except I am not a big fan of raspberry, wondering about the outcome if I replace with strawberries or blueberries. Love the song playing when visiting your blog. Oh, and my daughter & I LoVe the new puppy.
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  13. I googled 'fresh raspberry cake' and i clicked on the option for recipes in the past day and i found this one. I wanted to make one with real raspberries instead of just raspberry sauce which a lot of raspberry recipes seem to have. We have lots of raspberry bushes out here (i live in Felch MI)USA. My son loves to pick them. I hardly ever made desserts with them in the past but this one I am definitely making today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. MMMM mouth watering here ! Looks wonderful ! Your new fur baby is a cutie ! My fur baby will be a year August 23rd .

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am now 61 and have no idea how that happened. I feel 35 except when I get out of bed in the morning - it takes a few steps to regain 35!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This cake look lovely for a lovely person (you) and a really lovely puppy, love it! huggssss gloria
    enjoy your sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a delicious looking cake you chose to bake for your very special day, Marie! And I adore your sweet new Mitzie! That was my very first puppy's name when I was a little girl...!

    Lots of belated birthday hugs and good wishes to my lovely friend in England...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a just gorgeous cake!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy birthday Marie! Next time you visit Canada you qualify for the 20 percent senior discount at Shopper's Drug Mart. Love you blog and your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marie - Mitzie is just soooo cute! I love her name too. Glad you had such a lovely birthday xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy 50th, coiuld that pup be any cuter???NO

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday Marie! Mitzie is just the most adorable puppy ever and I am extremely envious of your cake - looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday wishes! PERFECT cake for the celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Marie – Happy birthday, belatedly! The cake is right up my alley…Mmmmmm, raspberry! Your little pup is absolutely adorable :-0

    ReplyDelete
  25. That cake looks delicious ! What breed is Mitzie ?

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is truly beautiful marie, making me wish summer was back!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!