Sour Cherry, White Chocolate and Almond Scones

Wednesday 15 September 2010



I love scones and am having a lot of fun developing new combinations and varieties. Todd's having fun testing them too, I must say! He loves being my taste tester, and . . . lucky him, he is one of those people who can eat whatever they want to eat without putting on an ounce! (I know, I'm jealous too!)



They're so easy to make, using techniques very similar to that of making biscuits (a scone type of quick bread, very popular in North America, not a cookie!) But that is where the similarity ends!



Scones are a lot lighter, and in many cases sweeter, often varying between cake-like and cookie-like in texture . . . but then again there are savoury versions that are more biscuit-like.



I guess there is no definitive way to describe a scone except to say that they are delectably delicious and the perfect thing to munch on with a hot cup of tea in the middle of the afternoon. (My choice is a lovely herbal tea, but I have friends that love Earl Grey and I do love the smell of a nice hot cup of Earl Grey.)



Whatever your poison . . . a cup of something hot and a plate with a warm scone on it just can't be beat on any occasion.



Today I thought I would try some dried sour cherries, white chocolate and flaked almonds in a scone . . . three wonderful flavours that go so very well together. The sour cherries help to cut the sweetness of the white chocolate that can sometimes be a bit cloying and the flaked almonds added a delightful bit of crunch.



All in all I'd say these are da bomb!! Definitely repeatable! These are going in my success file of things I have conjured up!



*Sour Cherry, White Chocolate and Almond Scones*
Makes 8 wedges
Printable Recipe

Cherries, white chocolate and almonds . . . the holy trinity of sconedom!! Seriously, these are fabulous!

8 1/2 ounces plain flour (2 cups)
2 1/4 ounces caster sugar (1/3 cup)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 ounces unsalted butter, chilled (1/4 cup)
125ml of double cream (1/2 cup)
1 large freerange egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp pure almond extract
6 ounces of good quality white chocolate, cut into small bits, or use
good quality white chocolate chips
5 ounces dried sour cherries, quartered (1 cup)
3 ounces toasted flaked almonds (1 cup)

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Drop in the butter and then cut it in using a pastry blender or two round bladed knives, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk together the cream, egg and extracts. Add all at once to the flour mixture, mixing it all in well and kneading until it is well combined. Lightly knead in the chocolate chips, cherries and almonds. Pat out with lightly floured hands to a 9 inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges. Place on the lined baking sheet, leaving some space in between each.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the tops are lightly browned. Allow to cool on the pan for five minutes, before scooping off with a spatula to a wire rack to finish cooling. Store in an airtight container.


Note - if you want your scones to have soft sides, place the whole round onto the baking sheet, and cut into wedges there, leaving them together and baking them as a whole. Cut them apart again once they come out of the oven with a serrated knife. Me . . . I love crunchy sides, and so I bake them apart!!

11 comments

  1. Gosh, those look yummy!!!!!!! Printed the recipe, hope to try them soon.
    Antique Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice combo! Scones are great because they're perfect with a hot drink and not too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how inventive you can be with scones. Still working on a fat-free recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my goodness... these are SENSATIONAL scones, Marie--what a wonderful, elegant pairing of flavors...mmm... And I'll take crispy, crunchy sides too! ;o) Oh, I wish I could come over for tea scones...*sigh*... LOVE YOU LOTS, dear friend ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even imagine how good these are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Marie these scones look fantastic and awesome, love them! send ypu huggss and kisses, love ya! xx gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great - I'm a scone fan too but I never seem to have much luck in baking them. They end up more like rock cakes than scones. Reckon I'll need to give this recipe a try ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look wonderful!!! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scones are as much a favorite as biscottie here Marie- I LOVE trying new combos and these look lovely!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Da bomb? You slay me :) I like my sides crispy too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I copied this recipe! I love scones! My grandmother used to make them in Nova Scotia when I was a youngster living with her on the farm.

    My favorite scones to date are:
    Fig and pistachio and date w/pecans. I have printed a couple of your recipes to try, one being the cherry, almond, white chocolate. YUMMY! I can't eat them all when I bake, so freeze the rest, then one day I can take out 4 varieties on one plate when I have company to share with!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!