Chocolate Chocolate Chunk Muffins

Sunday 24 October 2010



I do love chocolate so very much . . . as Dorcas would say on Larkrise to Candleford . . . it is my only weakness . . . (we all know there are many, but shhh . . . humour me.)




Unfortunately it is not Todd's favourite thing, and so I only very rarely bake anything chocolate . . . coz, well, let's face it, a good portion of it would go to waste, or I end up having to give most of it away . . .



Muffins are a good bet though . . . coz they freeze really easily. I just wrap each one individually and then put them into a large container. Then I can take them out as and when the urge hits. 40 to 45 seconds in the microwave later and I am in chocolate heaven . . .



These are fabulous for breakfast on these colder mornings along side of a hot steaming mug of hot cocoa.

Bliss . . . pure and utter bliss.



Psst . . . and if you are feeling really indulgent . . . you can always split them open and fill them with clotted cream. (I had some that needed using up. Honest!!)

Chocolate and clotted cream for brekkie . . . as Martha would say . . . "It's a good thing."




*Chocolate Chocolate Chunk Muffins*
Makes 12 medium muffins, or about 8 large
Printable Recipe

These are perfect for breakfast along with a nice hot steaming mug of cocoa. Deliciously scrummy!

2 ounces of Dutch process cocoa (2/3 cup)
7 1/4 ounces plain flour (1 3/4 cup)
10 ounces of soft light brown sugar (1 1/4 cups packed)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
6 ounces of good chocolate, cut into chunks (about 1 cup)
2 large free range eggs
250ml of whole milk (1 cup)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp vinegar
8 TBS butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 6. Butter a 12 cup medium muffin tin or line with paper liners. Set aside.

Whisk the cocoa, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and chocolate chunks together in a large mixing bowl.

Whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and vinegar together in another bowl. Add all at once, along with the melted butter to the dry ingredients. Stir to blend, without over mixing.

Scoop the batter into the muffin cups. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until well risen and a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Do watch them carefully as they will burn around the edges if baked too long. Remove from the oven. Allow to sit in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.

Note - If you do opt to make larger muffins they will take slightly longer to bake!

10 comments

  1. What moist looking muffins. I love that idea of putting cream into them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delish! Love the shape and texture of them, my muffins never turn out quite right. Will ahve to give these a go

    ReplyDelete
  3. Un autentico placer de chocolate. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gaaaaaawd! I've just made em
    and tthey're great !!! Best muffins i've Ever made
    thanks for the recipe !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely delicious!!!!
    I have never done muffins, but I'll try your recipe and I'll let you know the result :)
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must.MAKE.Soon! haha... Not sure I could eat these for breakfast, I prefer savory to start the day. But can see these for sure as an afternoon tea treats... oh, YUM! Happy Day, dear Marie--LOVE YOU LOTS :o) ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. You little baker you:) Martha should get you on her show:) Really.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look fantastic! I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate chunk muffins are my all time faves. Love that sly addition of clotted cream too lol. You are a girl after my own heart ;0)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!