Ginger and Pear Upside-down Pudding

Wednesday 6 October 2010



Ginger and pears are a beautiful combination . . . the pears sweet and lucious, the ginger fiery and hot . . .



I found this scrummy old fashioned pudding recipe in one of my cookbooks the other day, Good Old Fashioned Puddings, by Sarah Paston Williams and published by the National Trust.



It is chock filled with beautiful old fashioned recipes for delicious desserts and teatime treats, guaranteed to please most people! This tasty gingerbread like pudding recipe called out to me from the start!



I am an old fashioned gal with an old fashioned husband, so you just know that this tasty delight went down a real treat with us.



So perfectly autumnal . . . with fresh pears and warm spices . . . toasty walnuts, cherries and sweet sugar and treacle . . . both kinds golden and dark . . . the end result more like a cake than a pudding, with a rich toffee topping pooled around the fruit and nuts . . . the cake all rich and gingerbready beneath that fruity decadence.



Lashings of custard or cream are a must! We chose to have extra thick double spooning cream with ours.



Oh my . . . but it was some good . . . three hours later, and I am finding the leftover's hard to resist . . . I keep going into the kitchen and cutting off tiny slivers . . .

Oh I am a glutton . . .



*Gingerbread and Pear Upside-down Pudding*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

I am told this was very popular in Victorian days. I don't know about that, but I can tell you that it's very, very good!

1 3/4 ounces of butter (scant 1/4 cup)
70g of soft light brown sugar (about 1/3 cup packed)
3 firm pears
6 glace cherries
walnut halves

For the cake:
4 ounces butter (1/2 cup)
70g of slft light brown sugar (about 1/3 cup packed)
4 ounces black treacle (1/2 cup)
4 ounces golden syrup (1/2 cup)
(You can use 1 cup of mild molasses)
225g of plain flour (a generous 2 cups)
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of ground cloves
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 level teaspoon of baking soda
150ml of warm full fat milk (scant 2/3 cup)
2 large free range eggs

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter a 9 inch round deep baking tin. Line the bottom and sides with greaseproof paper. Melt the butter for the topping in a saucepan along with the brown sugar and stir for a few minutes to dissolve. Pour into the bottom of the tin. Peel, halve and core the pears. Put a glace cherry in the middle of each and then place cut side down into the brown sugar mixture in the baking pan, with stalk ends facing the centre. Place walnut halves in between the pears.

Put the butter for the cake bit in a larger saucepan. Melt together with the brown sugar, treacle and syrup. Whisk in the salt, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and soda. Whisk in the eggs and milk and then the flour until you get a smooth batter. Pour this batter carefully over top of the pears in the tin. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until well risen and firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Remove from the oven and allow to shrink a little before turning out onto a warm serving plate. Carefully remove the paper. Serve warm with custard, or cream.

14 comments

  1. Oh, I believe that this pudding must be outstanding. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious. There is something about the combination of pear and ginger that is so warming and comforting. Very autumnal

    ReplyDelete
  3. aBSOLUTELY DELISH...u pick the best recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Çok leziz, çok güzel ve iştah açıcı görünüyor. Ellerinize, emeğinize sağlık.

    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, everyone knows that I love ginger and it's just perfect with pears. This looks just lovely
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree pear and ginger sound so comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the puddings and more if they have some fruits like pear, apple....Kisses....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can almost taste the sticky goodness...mmm... have to make this one too! Thank you, Marie... Hope you are on the mend soon! LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous. Looks nice and sticky, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a beauty - it's a veritable time machine and brings me straight to the Victorian era platform. I came here via Food for the Hungry Soul and so pleased that I did!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Marie I really love this type of old and beauty desserts are my favorites, look yummy and delicious!
    Dear some days I cannot enter some blogs because I have had some problems with my PC, but Im glad to be here today, send you huggs and kisses to all of you, love yah! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ginger and pear would not be on my fave list in a deesert but this looks so good I could easily demolish a piece right now!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!