Hachis Parmentier, French Friday's with Dorie

Friday 22 October 2010



Bonjours mes amis! I know this is The English Kitchen, but it's Friday and that means it's French Fridays with Dorie day! That fun cooking club created around the release of Dorie Greenspan's newest book, entitled Around My French Table. Each Friday we all cook the same recipe from the book!



This week's recipe was Hachis Parmentier, a delicious cottage pie type of main course! I knew that Todd would love this dish right from the outset. It just plucked the strings of his meat and potatoes loving heart in all the right places!!



This recipe differs from most cottage pie recipes in that it uses a mixture of boiled beef and ground sausage meat in the filling. Quelle idée fantastique !



You could also choose to fast track the recipe and use minced beef, which I did, along with a good quality spicy banger from my local butcher's shop. I also cut the recipe down to feed only two of us, which worked out quite successfully!



Tellement tellement si délicieux !

But don't take my word for it. Buy the book and find out for yourselves! It's worth every penny! Trust me on this!

Next week's recipe is going to be Marie-Helene’s Apple Cake. Yummo!!

8 comments

  1. YUM! Marie, I would be so fat if I was around you! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw this in the rotation, I immediately thought of you and Todd because of how you always mention what a meat and potatoes kind of guy he is. I'm glad you both enjoyed it! I cut mine in half as well because these recipes always seem to make too much for two people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that making this with mince and a spicy banger sounds so much more fun than digging out ground beef and a sausage. :) Wasn't this good?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum, yum, yum, yum, yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It basically is a cottage pie. My mum was saying that hachis, traditionally, is just made from leftovers, and that's why it's different. I dunno. I like both. But if I'm having people over for dinner and can't be arsed making anything but shepherd's pie, I'm calling it hachis, for effect.

    Great pictures. I'm glad I didn't cut my recipe down for me and my husband-- we ate almost the whole thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, Keith is going to love this one! I haven't decided yet what we're eating next week so this can be slotted in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post...is it me or is every guy a meat and potatoes lover at heart?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yours looks cheesy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!