Melt-In-Your-Mouth Blueberry Cake with a Lemon Cream

Sunday 3 October 2010



I make no secret of the fact that I love blueberries. I hold up my hand and confess . . . it's true, true, TRUE! I DO LOVE BLUEBERRIES!



When I first moved over here to the UK ten years ago, blueberries were really, really hard to find. I remember being out for a walk with Todd one day, and finding a bush covered with tons of what looked like dusky blue berries and thinking that they were real Blueberries! I was so excited about my find! Poor Todd I made him eat one so that he could taste what a blueberry tastes like before I realized that they weren't blueberries at all!



He must really, really, REALLY love me, eh?



Anyways, over the past few years blueberries have become increasingly easier to find and sometimes they are even quite affordable. When I find them on special, I buy up lots of them and freeze them so that I can have blueberries almost whenever I want them! They freeze really, really well.



I do miss the wild blueberries of back home, where they grew in abundance, but hey . . . when it comes right down to it, I'll take what I can get! Better these than none at all!



This delicious cake is one of my favourite ways to use them. (Next to blueberry pancakes, pie and muffins of course!)



Tender and fluffy, it literally melts in the mouth, and has a scrummy crunchy sugar topping. You don't need to make the Blueberry Cream to go with it . . . but really, it's not that hard and is so very delicious. They go perfectly together . . . jes like peaches and cream! Sho nuff!




*Melt-In-Your-Mouth Blueberry Cake, with a Lemon Cream*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

Easy and delicious. The Lemon Cream makes this one extra special!

2 large free range eggs, separated
7 ounces granulated sugar, plus 1 dessertspoonful
8 TBS unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
210g of plain flour (1 1/2 cups)
80ml of milk (1/3 cup)
8 ounces fresh or frozen blueberries (about 1 1/2 cups)

For the Lemon Cream:
250ml of double cream
80ml of good quality or homemade lemon curd

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ Gas mark 4. Butter a deep 8-inch square pan and line with parchment paper. Butter again. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 2 ounces of the sugar and continue to beat until stiff and glossy. Set aside.

Cream together the butter and 5 ounces of the sugar, until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla. Remove 2 TBS of flour and toss with the blueberries. Set aside. Whisk together the rest of the flour, salt and baking powder. Alternately mix the dry ingredients into the butter mixture with the milk, beginning and ending with dry, blending in each addition well. Stir in 1/4 of the beaten egg whites to lighten the batter and then genly fold in the remainder. Fold in the flour tossed blueberries. Turn into the prepared pan. Level off and then dust with the dessertspoonful of sugar.

Bake for 50 to 55 minutes until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Place on a wire rack and let cool completely before serving.

To make the Lemon Cream, whip the double cream together with the lemon curd until soft peaks form.

When ready to serve cut into squares and place on a plate. Top each with a dollop of Lemon Cream.

12 comments

  1. I love the idea of the sugary top! Blueberries are a favorite of mine, too. I almost always have some in the freezer. I hope to make this soon. Thanks, Marie! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love blueberries too, and the cake looks yummy!!!!! I'd like a piece , please! Antique Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love blueberry cake. Your cake does look very light and delicious. I think I have some blueberries in the freezer that are destined for your cake.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I love blueberries too and good ones in the summer taste wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastico, que delicioso se ve.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol - as soon as I saw 'blueberry' in my reader this morning I knew it was you ;0)
    Poor Tood too, I hope he doesn't have a blueberry problem after that first taste test.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course I meant Todd!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE blueberries. I actually went to buy them yesterday, but it would have required a second mortgage on the house this week! this may have to wait till a sale pops up! :)
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This too looks so good.. Lemon and blueberries.. C'est si bon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh, I'm so wishing I had a stash of blueberries right now! I'll have to follow your example and buy lots and freeze them when they're on sale next time! I have a couple of bushes in the yard, but they're too young to yield much fruit yet....someday!

    Love this recipe! I'll be trying this as soon as I can! And a cream with lemon curd?! Divine!

    Thanks for all you share, dear friend...so much love and many hugs sent your way this beautiful Sunday...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marie, love this recipe look absolutely lovely and delicious. Have a lovely week my dear, huggs to you and Todd, love ya!! gloria

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!