Rarebit Jacket Potatoes

Thursday 21 October 2010



I quite simply love, LOVE potatoes . . . Any way . . . Any time . . . Any how.

You can take away my chocolate. You can take away my pasta. You can take away just about anything . . . just don't mess with my potatoes. They are my favourite vegetable.



Let's face it . . . low carb just would never work for me, coz I can't live without em!

Baked potatoes (Or jacket potatoes as they are called over here) are my absolute favourite version. Yes, I DO like em more than even chips. (But it's pretty close I admit!)



I like em with lots of butter and cheese on top, or sour cream and chives, or even just butter, salt and pepper!

Baked beans, or tuna or . . .well you name it. If you slop it onto a baked potato I am in love!



When I was growing up my mom sometimes used to make us twice baked, stuffed potatoes for a real treat! Oh they were soooo good, with the insides removed, mashed with some butter, milk and onion and then stuffed back in and baked again. We could never get enough of them!



Here's a slightly posher version of the same thing. Like Stuffed Baked Potatoes?? Like Welsh Rarebit??

Then you are gonna just LOVE these!!




*Rarebit Jacket Potatoes*
Serves 2
Printable Recipe

Delicious jacket potatoes with a cheesy rarebit filling. Serve with a tossed salad for a light but filling meal for two!

2 large baking potatoes
olive oil
a knob of butter
2 TBS milk
1 medium free range egg, beaten
100g of grated strong cheddar cheese (3/4 cup)
1 to 2 tsp English mustard (can use Dijon)
a good splash of Worcestershire Sauce

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6. Rub the potatoes all over with oil, then prick with a fork in several places. Place directily on the top rack of the oven. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until they yield to soft pressure. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for about 15 minutes.

At the end of that time, slice horizontally in half. Scoop out all the flesh from the insides to a bowl. Mash together with the butter, milk, egg, 3/4th of the cheese, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Pile back into the potato shells. Place on a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese over top. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.

Serve immediately with some salad on the side.

10 comments

  1. I'm right there with you on potatoes, my friend! Love them! But done rarebit style...be still my heart! They look amazing!

    Hope you're having a beautiful day today...I'm about to head of to bed...been a very long day! Much love being sent to you this very second, dear friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. i L O V E potatoes! and they love my thighs, but i'd be willing to let my thighs enjoy those delish rarebit jacket potatoes! i probably should only visit your blog after i have eaten dinner, cause it is late at night and you have made me hungry :)
    blessings,
    aimee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hayırlı günler, ellerinize, emeğinize sağlık. Çok leziz ve iştah açıcı görünüyor.

    Saygılarımla.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure HOW
    you stay so little,
    Marie, cooking up
    such amazing fare!
    {I've seen your blog
    pic, so I know!} We
    love twice baked
    potatoes but I haven't
    served them in ages.
    I think with a baby
    greens salad, this would
    be such a cozy meal!
    Followed by the Cinnamon
    Pudding Cake ~ nirvana :)!!
    Thanks for all you do!
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo...lovely--very autumn-cozy-food. I've not made jacket potatoes any which way for a long time... must do! These look so good, Marie...mmm... Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mustard is the new ing. for me..They sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVELY is all I have to say about this! Oh and YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there...I like this blog too! And I love potatoes, it was the only thing I could eat when I was pregnant that I could keep down! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unfortunately, potatoes are not an acceptable main dish to certain others in this household, so I'll have to come up with a good meaty distraction to keep them occupied while I dig into these. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't beleive I've never thought of doing a rarebit jacket spud!!! Genius idea Marie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!