Rhubarb Compote

Saturday 2 October 2010

This time of year is a busy time of year in the garden . . . clearing out any debris from the summer, trimming back plants, putting in spring bulbs, etc.

And doing it all inbetween the nasty rainy weather we've been having just recently.



My rhubarb grew like mad this summer. I had oodles and oodles of it. Yum! Yum!

It's truly one of my favourite fruits.



We had ever so much of it still left in the garden, and I knew that if I didn't get it used up this week, it would go to waste.

But what do you do with rhubarb that is perhaps not at it's peak?



You make a delicious Rhubarb Compote, that's what!



Beautifully sweet and fruity. The vanilla paste and orange flavours bring out the absolute best flavours of older rhubarb and so does the Pernod. Trust me on this.



Heavenly, simply heavenly.



*Rhubarb Compote*
Serves 4 to 6
Printable Recipe

You may think this is an unusual combination of ingredients, but trust me when I tell you it is pure magic. Delicious!

200g of caster sugar (1 cup fine sugar) (or to taste, you
may need more or less depending on the tartness of your fruit)
25ml of water (about 1/8th cup)
the juice of one large orange
the zest of one large orange
8 to 10 sticks of rhubarb, washed, trimmed and cut
into 1 inch pieces
1 tsp vanilla paste

To finish:
1 TBS Pernod (optional)
Greek yoghurt to serve (optional)

Place the sugar and water into a large saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the rhubarb, orange juice, orange zest and the vanilla paste. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until the rhubarb is very soft and broken down somewhat. Remove from the heat, stir in the Pernod and allow to cool to room temperature before serving.

Serve spooned out into bowls with a dollop of Greek Yoghurt on top of each.

7 comments

  1. Oh, yummy, Marie! I'll have to make this for my Dad when he comes for a visit--he loves rhubarb!

    I hope you're enjoying this first weekend of October...conference weekend...my favorite!

    Much love and warm thoughts heading your way, dear friend...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellerinize, sağlık, çok leziz ve iştah açıcı görünüyor.

    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now then, vanilla paste is a new one on me! Is it the squashed up scrapings from vanilla pods?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta say everything gets put to it's highest and best use at your home..Thanks again for all the recipes~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am green with envy at your rhubarb. Very impressive. Although it does force you to be more inventive when it gorws so well but that compote looks so good I'd be eating it breakfast, lunch and dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie I will be saving this for when I can find rhubarb again- it looks luscious!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi - Mom always stewed Rhubarb and we'd put it on top of ice cream or eat it alone. Yummy. She also made strawberry rhubarb pie.

    I'm following you now, look forward to checking out more great recipes. If you have any fall/winter recipes you'd like to share on my holiday blog feel free too - you just link up your actual post on the linky:

    http://holidaygiftsandmore.blogspot.com/p/recipes.html

    Thanks! Tina "The Book Lady"
    http://familyliteracyandyou.blogspot.com
    http://givingnsharing.blogspot.com
    http://holidaygiftsandmore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!