Roly Poly Bread and Butter Pudding

Sunday 17 October 2010



I think I must subscribe to just about every cooking magazine going. I know . . . I am obsessed. Todd thinks I'm crazy . . . but, having said that . . . he does more than enjoy my cooking efforts daily.



Usually I flag recipes from each magazine that I want to try out at some point. Of course there are far more than I could ever conceivably try in reality . . . but, at least I am well intentioned. Sometimes I get there and, well . . . sometimes I don't . . .



I flagged this pudding recipe in the October issue of Good Food magazine as one that I definitely wanted to make. It's taken me almost a month to get to it, but today was the day.



All my stars were in alignment or something coz I actually got it done! Roly Poly pudding is a favourite around this house with my old school hubby as is bread and butter pudding, and we are both nuts about anything with jam in it!



This lovely pudding combines elements of all three! Lovely little buttery roly poly bread and raspberry jam sandwiches laid on a bed of more raspberry jam, and then baked in a sweet vanilla custard, until it all souffles up in a rich cloud of baked custardy goodness . . . soft and creamy inside, with lovely buttery sweet crunchy bits on the outside.



You take a slightly trembling spoonful and place it in your bowl, licking your lips in anticipation . . . you want to dig in immediately, but daren't for fear the jam will burn your lips . . .



You finally lift a spoonful to your mouth and gently blow before you plunge the delightful mass past your trembling lips . . .



mmmm . . . ahhh . . . did you feel that?

That, my friends, was an itty, bitty taste of heaven . . .



*Roly Poly Bread and Butter Pudding*
Serves 8
Printable Recipe

Little bread butter and jam rolls baked in a delicious vanilla custard until light fluffy and scrummy yummy! You will want to use very fresh bread for this. Dry bread will not roll properly.

3 ounces softened butter, plus extra to butter the baking dish (3/8 of a cup)
12 ounces of raspberry jam (1 1/2 cups)
1 large fresh unsliced loaf of white bread
4 large free range eggs
14 fluid ounces of milk (1 3/4 cup)
14 fluid ounces of double cream (1 3/4 cup)
3 ounces of caster sugar, plus a bit extra for sprinkling on top of the pudding (3/8 of a cup)
1 tsp of vanilla paste, or the seeds scraped from one vanilla pod

Butter a deep two litre baking dish. Stir the jam well with a fork and then spoon half of it into the prepared baking dish.

Trim the crusts and rounded top off of the loaf of bread so that you have a large rectangular block of bread. Carefully cut the bread into 4 long slices lengthwise. (This is the hardest part as fresh bread is a bit squidgy, but persevere and go slowly. It will be worth it.) You can whiz all the edges and leftovers into bread crumbs and store in the freezer for something else.

Spread each of the four long slices of bread on one side with butter. Flip them over and spread the jam on the other sides. (Yes it will make the counter a bit of a mess, but again, it's worth it!) Roll up the bread slices, rolling up from the short sides, until you have 4 fat swiss rolls. Cut each in half carefully, so that you have 8 jammy rolls, and then place them, cut sides down into the jam lined baking dish.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, sugar and vanilla. Pour through a strainer over top of the jammy bread rolls, stopping to allow it to soak in, until all the mixture has been used up. Let stand for half an hour on the counter before baking,

Preheat the oven to 160*C/325*D/ gas mark 3. Place the baking dish on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the top with some more caster sugar and then place in the heated oven to bake for about an hour to an hour and a quarter until the top is lightly browned and the custard is gently set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for five minutes before serving. Delicious!

Note - I knew that there was no way that the Toddster and myself could eat a whole one by ourselves, so I cut the recipe in half. It worked out great!

11 comments

  1. Çok güzel çok leziz ve iştah açıcı olmuş. Ellerinize, emeğinize sağlık.

    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you please send me a large slice?
    yummy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacques just made himself a bread pudding yesterday..I am going to show him yours..so different!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just when I was wondering what to take my daughter at university, I stumbled upon your blog and this recipe. She and her roommate will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing, I need to try this immediatley! So many ways to make this your own too. I am thinking apple butter and walnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm...apple butter and walnuts sounds fantastic, I was also thinking nutella and and toasted hazelnuts would be fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where would we be without Nutella? I thought maybe Nutella and orange marmalade. Actually, a bread and butter pudding is the only time I just have to leave the crusts on the bread. I hate crusts on sandwiches but a pud - MWAH.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thinking nutella and cream cheese :)Possibilities are endless! Great post. My son would love nutella and bananas too. I will be linking this post very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh - that;s a neat idea. I buy the magazine - but don'r remember spotting this one

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sold! I want to make one that looks EXACTLY like these pictures! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll just roll right up to the table and have some of THAT!

    We do get some extravagant takes on bread pudding here now, but nothing quite like that, which I'd eat with vanilla ice cream. Then I'd have a lay down. After which I'd take my clothes out to be altered.

    Marie I've only been reading here for three weeks. I've gained 11 pounds. We must have a talk. But first... . MMM.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!