Root Vegetable Soup with Honey and Sage

Monday 4 October 2010



I am in the throes of a terrible chest cold. I hate it when I get one of those. I don't get sick very often but when I do . . . it seems to make up for it. Cough, cough, cough . . . and I am so very tired. I have no energy for most things. The last time I felt like this, which was quite a number of years ago, it turned into pneumonia, so I am really hoping that is not the case this time around.



Todd is taking good care of me, to be sure. He is such a good husband. He is not much of a cook though . . .

Thankfully, I cooked up a pot of this lovely soup before I started to feel so badly . . . rich and thick, and bursting with the natural sweetness of autumn root vegetables and deliciously creamy and nourishing honey. Soup is so very comforting when you are feeling a bit under the weather . . .



Sage and garlic add some final flavours that make this a very delicious soup indeed. Oh, isn't cooking so very magical?



I mean . . . on their own, these things are so so so, plain and simple . . . but married together in unique combinations, they become something very special indeed.

Enjoy!!



*Root Vegetable Soup with Honey and Sage*
Serves 4 to 6
Printable Recipe

This is a delicious soup. The honey helps to bring out the natural sweetness of the root vegetables. Very pretty with a garnish of drizzled cream and fresh sprigs of sage.

75g of unsalted butter (A generous 1/3 cup)
1 medium brown onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 medium parsnip, peeled and finely chopped
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and minced
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 heaped Tablespoons of creamy honey
3 sprigs of sage, chopped, plus extra sprigs for serving
750ml of vegetable stock (3 cups) (I use Swiss Marigold powder diluted in boiling water)
75 ml of double cream, plus extra for drizzling (1/3 cup)
freshly squeezed lemon juice
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Place the butter into a large saucepan. Add the onion, carrot, parsnip and garlic. Stir to coat the vegetables with the butter, cover and then sweat over low heat for about 5 minutes. Remove the cover and add the cubed sweet potato, honey and sage, giving it all a good stir. Cover and continue to sweat for another 10 minutes or so. Add the boiling stock and cook for a further 10 to 15 minutes until all the vegetables are very tender. Remove from the heat. Using a stick blender puree the soup until smooth. If it is too thick you may have to add more vegetable stock to thin it a bit. Bring the soup back to the boil and then stir in the cream. Heat through without boiling any further. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Ladle into heated soup bowls. Drizzle a bit of cream over each and garnish with more sage leaves if desired.

16 comments

  1. Oh, my dear friend...I'm so sorry to hear that you're sick! I wish I could just pop over and bring you some dinner so you wouldn't have to worry about it!

    That soup looks just divine--I'm going to get the ingredients tomorrow--must have it! Sounds just amazing with the honey and sage!

    So much love sent to you, my friend...wishing you much rest and a very speedy recovery!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you fell better soon, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, there is nothing like soup when you're feeling sick and this looks like a lovely cure-all. Feel better soon- you're in my prayers
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you are under the weather - there seems to be lots of bugs going around. This soup looks like the perfect remedy. Hope you feel better soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this soup is fantastic. I follow your blog from you. Lots of kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo... I love this one! Such an elegant way with humble root veggies... a hint of honey and sage.. YUM! And soup is always just the thing when under the weather. Do be taking good care, my friend and hope you are on the mend soon. :o) LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you and Todd:) Oh I hope this hits the sickie spot and makes you well..NOTHING like feeling 100%

    I hope it's soon for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks absolutely wonderful and will be on our table by week's end!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marie, you take care of yourself! Pneumonia is not a good thing. If you've had it once, it may root itself in you lungs again. Get yourself to the DR first sign of troubled breathing! Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Marie, I sure hope you feel better soon. Chest colds are a nasty business, so please do take rest and don't overdo it.

    Lovely soup though, other half loves soups, so this one I am definitely going to try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marie, are you the Canuck who was cooking at a 'manor' house for a time? I used to follow such a Marie's blog and then lost her, a couple year's ago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read through. Yes, yes it's YOU!! I'm delighted to find you Marie. I've missed all that down home cooking. Oh some might think this is ENGLISH cooking. Ha. I know better. These are the ways I learned on the Prairie, which as every Canadian knows, is Nova Scotia West.

    ReplyDelete
  13. S I am intrigued. You speak as if you know me! Do tell! E-mail me, mariealicejoan at aol dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okey dokey. I did.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Got to try this. Take good care and feel better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!