Salmon and Broccoli Crumble

Saturday 9 October 2010



It never hurts to have a few recipes up your sleeve that you can call on when time is short, or it's getting close to payday and the fridge is looking a bit bare.



It's also really handy to have a few recipes closeted away that you can turn to when money is tight, and you are wanting to put something delicious and tempting on the table for your family, and yet economical at the same time.



This savoury fish crumble is just the ticket on both counts. with it's rich and creamy cheese sauce and the buttery crumble on top it's a real winner! Scrummy yummy!! It's also a tasty way to get the kids and hubby to eat something they think they don't like.



I have a husband who claims to hate salmon and broccoli. He will sit and eat tins of smelly old sardines quite happily . . . but turns up his nose at salmon . . .

I know . . . it makes no sense to me either!!!



The funny thing is however, he gobbles this tasty crumble right up. The recipe which should serve four people, always ends up serving just the two of us, and I'll tell you right now, he eats the lion's share of it . . . and, he enjoys every mouthful!!! You do know what they say though . . .

There's naught so queer as folk! (I love him, really I do!)




*Salmon and Broccoli Crumble*

Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Tender flaked salmon and tender broccoli beneath a short and savoury crumble. This is simple, but incredibly tasty.

For the Crumble Topping:

175g/6oz Flour

75g/3oz Butter, softened
50g/2oz Finely Grated Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Black Pepper

For the base:
1 ounce of butter (1/8 of a cup)
1 heaped TBS of plain flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 TBS freshly chopped parsley
300ml of whole millk (1 1/4 cups), warmed
4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (1/4 pound)
2 TBS finely grated Parmesan Cheese
the juice of one lemon
2 7-ounce tins of boneless, skinless salmon, drained well
1 medium head of broccoli, trimmed and cut into florets

First make the crumble topping. Rub the butter and flour together with your fingertips until crumbly and then stir in the cheese and a bit of salt and pepper. Set aside.

Melt the butter for the base in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook for several minutes over low heat. Slowly whisk in the heated milk. Cook, whisking constantly until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Whisk in the cheeses, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. Whisk in the lemon juice. Taste and then season with salt and pepper as needed. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.

Coarsely flake the drained salmon into the bottom of a shallow casserole dish. Blanch the broccoli for 2 minutes in boiling water. Drain well and then scatter over top of the fish. Pour the cheese sauce evenly over top of the broccoli and fish. Sprinkle the crumble topping over all.

Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until bubbling and gold brown on top. Let sit for a few minutes, then serve hot. We like this with either baked potatoes, or homebaked potato wedges. It's delicious!

Note - you can also use an equivalent amount of leftover cooked salmon instead of the tinned stuff. I always buy Connetable pink wild Alaska skinless and boneless salmon in olive oil. It is perfect in this. If you always have a few tins in the larder you are always prepared to whip up a tasty meal in a flash.

9 comments

  1. Marie, Allie will love this! Salmon, broccoli, and a creamy sauce- all her favorites! I may let her try this on her own next week while I'm restricted :)
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great. I've got some left-over cooked Halibut, and a tin of Salmon, so here I go.

    Glad to see you feel well enough to be up and feeding us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds just like my kind of dinner but my husband also dislikes salmon ... not sure I'd have the same success as you though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Çok güzel, çok leziz ve iştah açıcı görünüyor. Ellerinize sağlık. Hayırlı hafta sonları.

    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are feeling better...This does look comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Marie, hope you feeling better! sorry you are sick my dear.
    Is a pity Todd doesnt like salmon but this look awesome and really delicious I adore salmon is one of my favorites, send you huggs and kisses, and hope you feeeling better, xoxoxo gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds a lot
    like a "salmon loaf"
    that my hubby grew
    up on....Used to be
    the only seafood he
    liked {when we met
    at 19} but luckily
    he liked much more,
    now! I'm hosting his
    parents tomorrow evening
    and I'm cooking up your
    root veggie soup and
    dessert will be your
    apple crumble : )!
    Big hugs ~
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a comforting, old fashioned recipe like this. It's ideal to make on a cold, dark autumn day as the foghorn sounds in the harbour. It's a real "pea souper" day here today - maybe I should have made pea soup - LOL!

    This was my pick for my Fish on Friday meal. Lovely, rich, creamy sauce, beautiful browned crumble topping and our favourite filling of broccoli and salmon (I used fresh salmon for this). I couldn't go past it. I was going to have it with rice, but when you said "potato wedges" I had to have those. It's been ages since we ate wedges and as I munched away, I wondered why I don't make them more often. Delicious. We also had a small salad on the side, just to have something fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, once again I am so grateful that you cooked another one of my recipes but even more so, I am pleased that you enjoyed it! Thank you so much for all the efforts you make to cook my recipes and then leave your feedback on them. I wish more people would! You are a treasure. Thank you SO MUCH! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!