Tomato, Leek and Dill Soup

Tuesday 12 October 2010



I think tomato soup has to be one of my favourite types of soup. To me it is so comforting and delicious.



I think that's because when I was a child and wasn't feeling too well, there was always a tin of tomato soup to help me feel better.



Still today, one of my favourite things to do is to heat up a tin of tomato soup (Heinz please) and then crumble a whole load of crackers into a bowl. Spoon the soup over the crackers and add a knob of butter . . . that is heaven to me. I could quite happily exist on nothing else!



Todd . . . well . . . he's not so keen on tomato soup. Not Heinz or any other kind! He doesn't mind it though when it is homemade, coz I make it interesting I guess. I am always fiddling with it and coming up with different ways to make it taste scrumptious for him.



Today I added leeks, dill and sour cream. He loved it! It went down a real treat with some cheddar shaved over the top. This was just gagging for some cheese on toast on the side. What else could I do but indulge!




*Tomato, Leek and Dill Soup*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

A deliciously rich tomato, leek and dill soup. Perfect for an autumn lunch with cheese on toast!

2 TBS olive oil
4 to 5 medium leeks, trimmed, washed and sliced thinly
(white and light green parts only)
2 (800g) tins of chopped tomatoes in their own juice (4 to 5 cups)
1 litre of chicken stock (about 4 1/2 cups)
6 TBS finely chopped fresh dill
1 TBS caster sugar
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp of salt, plus more as needed
150ml of sour cream (1/2 cup)

To garnish: a good farmhouse cheddar, shaved

Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks. Cook and stir until softened, about 3 minutes or so. Add the tinned tomatoes and the chicken stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add the dill, cayenne and salt. Simmer over low heat, uncovered, until everything is very soft, some 20 to 25 minutes.

Remove from the heat and puree until smooth using a stick blender. (alternately you can use a regular blender, but be cautious as hot liquids are dangerous)

Whisk in the sour cream. Taste and adjust seasoning as required.

Set hot in heated bowls, with shavings of cheddar floating on top. Delicious!

Note - if you think your soup is too thick after you puree it, add a bit more heated chicken stock. This soup is great to make ahead, if anything it tastes even better. Cool, cover and refrigerate, then reheat over medium heat.

11 comments

  1. Tomato soup has always been one of my favorite comfort foods, too...so soothing and delicious! I like to make one with fresh basil and garlic--yum!

    I hope you're feeling better--how's your ear?

    Much love sent your way tonight, dear friend....

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. A knob of butter, yes, that is the way I learned to serve Tomato soup too. Amazing Marie. We grew up at opposite ends of Canada, but our food ways are so similar. Did you also serve a slice of best cheddar with your apple pie? And sometimes, serve the pie with milk or cream poured over. I'm making myself hungry here. Must make soup.

    An earache is a horrible thing. You can't put ice there, it's usually already so hot with fever a hot water bottle is useless.

    Indeed, hope you're feeling better this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never thought of adding a knob of butter - will do so the very next time I have some Heinz Tom Soup ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Tomato soup..homemade..Growing up it was Campbell's~Like your additions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like you, Love tomato soup! I will defiantly be trying this recipe out, as you haven't failed me yet. Yesterday I made your "Spicy Pumpkin tray bake". Yummy! I love pumpkin and this was even better that my go to recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tomato soup is definitely my favorite too! I especially like to jazz it up. I will definitely try this one. Thanks so much.
    PS My pigs in a blanket weren't as pretty as yours were, but they tasted great. I sprinkled some chopped onion between the sausage and the dough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am here to
    tell one and all
    that your soup recipes
    are fantastic!! I
    made the Root Veg with
    Honey and Sage for
    Sunday dinner and it
    was a big hit, as was
    your Apple Crumble!
    This looks delicious,
    as well...YUM....
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great idea - I already love tomato soup and you've made it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was the soup I had last night to accompany your lovely luxury toasties :) A fabulous soup and I liked that it was a slightly different take on my usual tomato soup. All the additions were perfect and this is a version I think we'll eat often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you made and enjoyed this Marie. Of all the soups, I think any kind of tomato soup is my favorite! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!