Applesauce Pancakes with a Spicy Apple Syrup

Wednesday 1 December 2010



When my family was growing up I always liked to cook them a special breakfast on Christmas morning.



Sometimes it would be an overnight breakfast casserole that I make with croissants, eggs, ham, mushrooms and cheese . . .other times it would be bacon and eggs.



More often than not though it would be either pancakes or French Toast, two dishes which my children loved most of all.




These delicious pancakes are moist and fluffy, with a slightly sweet and spicy apple flavour. The apple syrup makes the scrummiest topping.



Sizzling and savoury grilled sausages are wonderful on the side.



Your family will thank you and think that you are just the most brilliant cook ever.



*Applesauce Pancakes with a Spicy Apple Syrup*
serves 4
Printable Recipe

The perfect holiday breakfast!

4 1/4 ounces plain flour (1 cup)
1 TBS sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
250ml of applesauce (1 cup)
1/4 tsp freshly grated orange zest
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 large free range egg yolks, beaten
1 TBS butter, melted
2 large free range egg whites

Whisk together the flour, sugar, bakiin gpowder, salt, and cinnamon. Blend the applesauce, orange zest, vanilla, egg yolks and butter together. Stir them into the flour mixture. Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold them into the batter.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Lightly oil. Ladle the batter on in large spoonfuls, spreading it out to about 4 inches in diameter. Cook until bubbles break all over the surface. Flip over and brown on the other side. Keep warm in a low oven until all are cooked. Serve warm with spiced apple syrup and pats of butter.

*Spiced Apple Syrup*
Makes 1 1/2 cups

Delicously sweet and spicy.

1 pint cloudy pressed apple juice
11 1/2 ounces of soft light brown sugar (1 1/2 cups packed)
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 1/2 tsp whole cloves

Combine the ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the liquid has reduced to about half, forming a syrup. Scoop out the cinnamon stick and the cloves. Serve warm.

12 comments

  1. Gosh, Marie, you did it again! Yummy. I am going to the store today before it snows again. Our grocery store is a 30 minute drive to the other side of the island. I will take my camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful tome...I could eat pancakes for every meal! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh! These look way too yummy, Marie! I just read the title out loud to my daughter, Sarah...she just stared at me and asked, "Will you make them for me right now?!" (at 9:45pm!) Not tonight...but soon! I think Christmas morning sounds like the perfect time to give them a try! I usually do a breakfast casserole, too...so easy to throw together on Christmas Eve!

    I've missed out visits--what a busy week it's been! Things are slowing down now...for a few weeks, at least!

    Much love to you, as always...stay warm and cozy, my dear friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. My idea of breakfast heaven! I even had some baked apples with my breakfast this morning but pancakes sound a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, pancakes would be my first pick too. The addition of the apple is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, pancakes, US style. I love American pancakes, all thick and springy. It's hard to get that effect over here in the UK, something to do with the type of flour. I shall keep an eye out for some Italian 00 flour as I understand that works almost as well. Great, simple recipe that's whetted by appetite. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS - i meant to ask - do you use any particular flour for these pancakes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just used plain flour Grubworm, which I sifted a couple times, then spooned into my bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does Grubworm mean pasta flour thgt we can buy here? Plain sounds fine to me though. I think the apple syrup sounds nice enough to eat on its own with a spoon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pancake looks delicious! Found your lovely site from Sweet as Sugar Cookies! I'm your newest follower. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to eat my computer screen! I am particularly fond of the mound of butter you placed as the crown jewel on the pancakes :) I will give these a try this season! I think I will be an addict!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh I could eat a plate of those right now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!