Baked Potato and Leek Soup

Thursday 30 December 2010



Potato and Leek soup is a real favourite over here in the UK. Thick and creamy and filled with lovely leeks and potatoes. Filling and delicious.

I like to put my own spin on things though, and so today I made a baked potato and leek soup.



Lovely leeks, softened in lots of butter along with some garlic . . .
and then simmered in rich chicken stock. Blitzed with a whole baked potato until smooth and creamy . . .



Rich and tasty cheddar cheese is then stirred in to melt, along with some milk and sour cream. What could get any better . . .



Nothing . . . well, not unless you consider adding a topping of more grated cheddar cheese, some chopped spring onion and fried bacon . . .

Everything tastes better with bacon, does it not!!!!





*Baked Potato and Leek Soup*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe


A delicious version of the always popular leek and potato soup!



2 medium baking potatoes (about 8 ounces each)
4 TBS unsalted butter
2 medium leeks (white and light green parts) washed, trimmed and thinly sliced
2 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pint of chicken stock (2 cups)
1 pint water (2 cups)
4 ounces milk (1/2 cup)
250ml of sour cream (1/2 cup)
4 thick slices of dry cure smoked streaky bacon, cut into 1/2 inch dice
4 ounces of strong cheddar cheese, grated
2 spring onions, finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5. Wash the potatoes really well, pick with a fork in several places, and then place into the heated oven right on the rack and bake for about 1 hour, until tender. Let cool completely.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and garlic. Cook ,stirring occasionally until softened, about 10 minutes. Season with some salt. Add the chicken stock and water. Simmer until the leeks are very tender, about 20 minutes.

While the leeks are cooking fry the bacon pieces in a skillet over medium heat, until crisp and browned. Drain well on paper towelling and set aside.

Cut one of the baked potatoes in half lengthwise and then into quarters. Remove the skin and chop it up. Set the potato flesh aside for later. Cut the remaining potato into chunks. Add this along with the skin of the other potato to the leeks. Puree the soup with an immersion (stick) blender until smooth. Whisk in the milk, sour cream and half of the cheese, whisking until the cheese is melted. Cut the potato flesh into 1/2 inch chunks and add to the soup. Taste and adjust seasoning as required with salt and pepper. Keep warm, but do not allow to boil.

Serve hot and ladled into heated bowls. Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar, some of the bacon bits and some spring onion.

11 comments

  1. Merhabalar, ellerinize, emeğinize sağlık. Çok güzel ve leziz görünüyor.
    Ayrıca yeni yılın sağlık ve mutluluk getirmesini diler yeni yılınızı tebrik ederim.

    Saygılarımla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O yum! What a treat of a soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's only 6:00 a.am and I could have this for breakfast. It has bacon so I guess it could be a breakfast food, right.

    Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie this looks incredible! I wish it wasn't just me living here, I need someone to help me eat all this rich soup! Can I freeze leftovers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, I would freeze it before adding the sour cream, and then just add it when reheating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think potato soup is one of the most comforting foods EVER! The addition of leeks makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your soup looks delicious..I just made a similar one..I love your garnishes..so pretty..
    Happy New Year Marie.~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I could go a bowl of this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM...what a perfect thing to do with all my baked potatoes I have in my fridge! Looks perfect for this cold winter day too :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, so good... It is terribly cold here today, soup would be just the thing! Happy New Year, dear Marie--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that looks delicious, Marie!

    I've been missing my regular blog time--I've missed so much! I think I know what I'll be making for dinner tonight--this looks AMAZING!

    We're so chilly here today, that soup is the only option--and since I've got everything required (just need to go and get some leeks!), Marie will be the inspiration for dinner once again tonight!

    Wishing you and your sweet Todd (and Miss Mitzi, of course!) a wonderful, happy & healthy New Year, dear friend...I'm so grateful for you and the love and friendship you've added to my life.

    Sending you oh, so many warm hugs and loving thoughts from chilly California today, my friend...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!