Nutmeg Fingers

Tuesday 21 December 2010



The weather here in the UK at the moment is frightfully cold . . . the coldest I've experienced in my ten years over here. It's been dipping down to minus 11 nights . . . brrr . . .



I was in a real festive mood this morning . . . perhaps it was the pretty dusting of white which covers every branch, hedgerow, and other flat surface around the outside of the house . . . but I put on some Christmas music and decided to bake some Christmas cookies for Todd to take around and deliver to our local friends, along with our cards.



So there I was ho ho ho-ing away in the kitchen as I bounced about to Jingle Bell Rock and all of a sudden I heard the sound of water hitting the floor . . . it was just pouring out all over the place from somewhere behind our washing machine.



Apparently it is so cold here that the pipe which drains the water outside was frozen solid. Several kettles of hot water, a dozen towels and quite some time later, the problem was sorted.
Whew!! (Todd = My Hero)



Todd is now out travelling about the town armed with plates of cookies and Christmas Cards. He's a right jolly old Elf. I think I'll keep him. It's beginning to look and feel a lot like Christmas! I've got my Christmas mojo going strong!



I hope they like their cookies. Tasty little Nutmeg logs, all buttery and nutmeggy scrummy and covered with a layer of butter cream and dusted with, what else but more nutmeg. Hmmm . . . hope they like nutmeg!

Fa la la la la . . . la la . . . la . . . la!



*Nutmeg Fingers*
Makes about 3 1/2 dozen
Printable recipe

Buttery little nutmeg flavoured logs, slathered in a tasty buttercream and dusted with what else but more nutmeg!

for the logs:
8 ounces butter, softened (1 cup)
5.25 ounces caster sugar (3/4 cup)
1 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
(I love my fine sided microplane grater!)
1 large free range egg
2 tsp pure vanilla
1 tsp rum extract
12.75 ounces plain flour (3 cups)

For the buttercream:
2 ounces butter, softened (1/4 cup)
12 ounces icing sugar, divided (3 cups)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp rum extract
1 TBS cream
1 TBS milk

to finish:
freshly grated nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Get out two large baking sheets. Set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg, nutmeg and flavourings. Mix in well. Stir in the flour to make a stiff dough. Shape handfulls of the dough into long ropes, 1/2 inch in diameter. Cut into 3 inch sticks and place at least one inch apart on the baking sheets, repeating until you have used up all the dough,. Bake for 15 minutes, until lightly browned on the bottoms. Remove from the oven and alow to cool on wire racks.

To make the butter cream, beat together the butter and 8 ounces (2 cups) of the icing sugar, along with the vanilla and rum extract. When it starts to come together, beat in the milk, cream and remaining icing sugar, beating until light and fluffy.

Using a flat knife spread a portion of icing on the top of each log. Rough up with the tines of a fork. Set aside to dry. Dust with freshly grated nutmeg. Store in an airtight container. These also freeze well, tightly covered. Place into a freezer container, placing parchment paper between the layers.

12 comments

  1. I love nutmeg, it's so Christmassy! And what a lovely idea to give them out with your cards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look lovely! Very impressed you are keeping your Christmas spirit so bright even when the pipes are freezing! Its still -10 here in Edinburgh at the moment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought a little packet of fresh nutmegs... This gives me an idea! ;o) These look very tempting... I like the addition of the butter cream to a simple cookie. Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course they will love them..Todd..your hero:) My husband is mine too.I love that feeling.
    I can almost see you dancing around your kitchen..Made your Crispies:) Marie Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Mrs. Claus would just love a couple of these with a nice cup of coffee after her gift wrapping marathon today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I just added Nutmeg Fingers to my cookie baking list today! YUM!!! I love the smell and taste of freshly grated nutmeg...just warms my soul!

    So sorry you had to deal with the pipe bursting this morning...and right in the middle of your festive baking mood, too! Thank heavens for your sweet hubby!

    I'm sending the WARMEST hugs and Christmas wishes I can to you, my dear friend...love you loads!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. The very same thing happened in my house this morning, it didn't stop me baking but it did stop me going out to do the Christmas shopping! Luckily I've got a Tom, not a Todd, who is my hero, who sorted out the burst pipe in record time. These things come to try us and it makes us so thankful when things get back to normal!
    Your cookies sound really good, by the way. Jeannette.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Christmas songs dear Narie, and your treats you made ,look awesome and delicious your nutmeg fingers look delicious, hope Todd enjoyed them!! send you huggs and kissese my dear, how is Daisie? x gloria

    ReplyDelete
  9. I snowing there my friend?? here is hot!! begin summer today, x gloria

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanna say Is snowing there? I saw the airports!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have all those ingredients right now in my pantry!! Looks totally yummy and will be making these tomorrow, guaranteed!! (sp?) :) thanks for the great idea...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your nice idea. I have all those elements at my home and i wanna make it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!