English Lavender Buttermilk Scones

Saturday 7 May 2011



There is nothing more beautiful, both to look at and to smell than gorgeous English Lavender. Down in Norfolk they have fields and fields of the stuff.



When we lived in the cottage down in Kent, the whole back of the house was flanked with beautiful lavender and during the lavender season, you could scarce move without being assaulted by it's beautiful smell. I have spent many an afternoon sitting out on the patio watching the bumblebees bumble from bloom to bloom. Such a pretty sight.



We have lavender here at our house in Chester as well, albeit not as much and it is just ready to burst into bloom, several weeks ahead of it's usual season . . . but that is result of the unusually warm April we had I think . . . Each year when it grows I am careful to harvest some of it to be used in our dresser drawers to help to keep our clothing fresh, and to lay amongst our sheets, pillow slips and towels in the linen closet as well. It smells just beautiful. More gets saved and put into bowls here and there in the house to keep the air fresh and yet more gets stuffed into jars of sugar to be used in delicious baked goods such as these lovely scones.



You might think that with a smell such as strong as lavender can be, that it would overwhelm the flavours of things that are baked with it . . . but you would be completely wrong.

The lavender sugar in these scones gives them a subtle fruit flavour and scent, and goes so very wonderfully with fresh lemon curd or preserves.

Make it a wonderfully different teatime treat by baking these lovely scones. Keep them guessing as to what your secret ingredient is. Buttery, subtly scented, with a lovely little crunch.



You can use storebought lemon curd of course . . . but making your own is really quite easy. I have a recipe here. It's wonderful! I think you'll find it will come in handy for all sorts.




*English Lavender Buttermilk Scones*
Makes about a dozen
Printable Recipe

These delightfully buttermilk scones are infused with lavender sugar and go very well with my homemade lemon curd, or preserves for a special Spring tea.

225g of self raising flour (scant 2 cups)
1 tsp baking powder
50g of unsalted butter, cut into bits (1/4 cup)
75g of lavender sugar (see below) (scant 1/2 cup)
150ml of buttermilk (5 fluid ounces)
salt
To serve:
your choice of lemon curd or preserves

Preheat the oven to 220*C/ 425*F/ gas mark 7. Butter a baking sheet. Set aside.

Stir the flour and baking powder together in a bowl. Drop in the butter bits and rub them in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Stir in the sugar. Add the buttermilk, and stir in with a fork, only adding enough to create a soft dough. Tip out onto a floured board and knead a few times before patting out to a 1/2 inch thickness. Cut out into rounds with a 2 1/2 inch round cutter. Place onto the baking sheet leaving plenty of space in between for spreading. Brush with some more buttermilk.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack before serving with your favourite spread.

To make your own lavender sugar:
Press two of three clean sprigs of fresh lavender, or a couple of TBS of lavender buds which you can buy in the spice section, into a jar of caster sugar and leave for at least 24 hours before using. Use pesticide free blooms, and wash and dry them before using.

6 comments

  1. These look lovely, I love the idea of cooking with lavender. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your love of lavendar and dry it to use in the same manner.I've never cooked with it though i have clipped many recipes to use it in,, I'm trying these for sure,, I love lemon curd and use your recipe.I've been reading your blogs a long time,,, thanks again for visiting my blog today,,see or hear you tomorrow,, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm, YUM!! I love lavender shortbread, so this recipe is a "must try" for me! (plus, I can never get enough homemade lemon curd! lol)

    There is a huge lavender farm about 10 miles away, and they have a festival every year in July, offering not only bath and home products made with their lavender, but culinary treats as well. Jelly's, syrups, vinegars, etc. plus different baked goods to enjoy with their lavender punch. You can wander the fields, buy huge bunches of both dried and fresh flowers, and tins of cleaned and dried culinary lavender. I always buy several.

    And now I have another lovely recipe to add to my collection! Thank you SO much for offering it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know people ate lavender! I have a few shrubs and now I can't wait until they bloom so I can give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know people ate lavender! I have a few shrubs and now I can't wait until they bloom so I can give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cook with lavender dear Marie, these scones are awesome!! Look nice and I adore lemon curd is my favorite!! nice post!! send you huggs and kisses, love yah! gloria

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!