Oven Baked Chicken and Broccoli Risotto

Thursday 26 May 2011



I love risotto, and I totally adore oven baked risotto's. Why???



Because essentially I can be a bit lazy sometimes, and these are risotto's that basically cook themselves. There is no standing over the stove, babying them along, adding ladles of stock, one . . . ladle . . . at a . . . time.



You just add all the ingredients to a casserole dish . . . and bake!



Easy peasy, lemon squeasy! Nothing could be simpler.



I have a fantastic recipe for a delicious Baked Risotto with Courgettes, Tomatoes and Parmesan Here. And I have another delicious recipe for a Meatball Risotto Soup Here. Both delicious, both easy, both very popular!



This one is today is very colourful and very tasty. Creamy,rich and just stogged full of tasty bits of chicken and crunchy green bits of broccoli. Of course you don't have to use broccoli if you don't want to . You can choose to use another green vegetable such as asparagus, or green beans or even peas. All are equally as delicious! (Not to mention easy!)

I love easy food, especially when it also happens to be delicious! Don't you?



*Oven Baked Chicken and Tender Stem Broccoli Risotto*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

The best thing about this dish is that it practically cooks itself. You can sit back and enjoy a drink while it is baking. It's also really quick!

2 TBS olive oil
500g (1lb 2 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
250g (9 ounces) arborio rice
750ml (3 cups) chicken stock
1 bunch of tender stem broccoli, trimmed and cut on the diagonal into 1 inch pieces
35g (1/3 cup) grated parmesan Cheese, plus extra to serve
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Heat 1 TBS of the olive oil iin a large flameproof casserole over high heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook, stirring frequently until golden brown. Remove from the casserole and set aside.

Add the remaining olive oil and the onion to the dish. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened. Add the garlic and lemon zest and cook for about 30 seconds longer. Add the rice and stir to coat evenly with the oil. Add the stock and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Cover the casserole and bake in the heated oven for 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken and the broccoli and recover. Bake for an additional 5 minutes until the broccoli is bright green and just tender. Stir iin the Parmesan cheese, season with salt and black pepper, and serve. Have extra Parmesan ready to spoon over individual servings. Delicious!

Note: If you don't really like broccoli, you can substitute it with an equal amount of asparagus.

8 comments

  1. Marie, It is good to be back near to your good recipes. I am in the Neither world still, neither here nor there. Jet lag. This recipe I will try today. I needed some inspiration. xxoo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love risotto - sounds yummy and really satisfying - in fact Im getting really hungry. Lovely recipe
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks too good to be that easy! I'm ready to get in the kitchen for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This look delicious Marie, nice recipe, have a lovely weekend! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm planning on making this tonight. Just checking, it really only takes a total of 20 minutes to cook the rice to done, and the broccoli only for 5 minutes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is what it took for me Elizabeth. OF course common sense should prevail, and if you think yours needs a bit longer, then use a bit longer. Ovens can vary a bit in their strength of heat. I have a fan oven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, once again my sort of cooking, where you let the oven do the work while you get on with something else. This is such a great way to make risotto and you still get a lovely, creamy rice dish without all the faff.

    I like broccoli, but didn't have any, so I used a combination of asparagus and frozen baby peas and it was really good. I like wine in my risotto, so I replaced a cup of the chicken stock with a dry white wine and it was still full of flavour. I cooked it for a little longer as well (about 7 minutes longer, before adding the chicken, asparagus and peas) just to make sure the rice was cooked.

    Comfort food at its best - with minimum fuss. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love oven baked risotto! I have another one on here as well I believe. I am going to have to try downsizing a recipe for myself! I am pleased you tried and enjoyed and I love your variation to it. Sounds gorgeous. Thank you! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!