Simple Jam Jams

Wednesday 4 May 2011



Back home in Eastern Canada, where I hail from, you can get these big soft white sugar cookies, filled with jam. Oh they are so yummy. I have been trying for years to replicate the recipe.



Have I succeeded?? Not quite, but I managed to get very close this morning! I think I baked these just a tiny bit too long and so the next time I make them if I take them out just a little bit sooner, they will be pretty much spot on.



I also think I'll add a bit of grated nutmeg next time as well.



These are really, really good though! FABULOUS fresh out of the oven with a ice cold glass of milk!



Quick and easy too! I am a quick and easy kind of a gal. I don't like a lot of faff. I only very rarely roll out cookies. I like to just scoop and drop if I can. I guess I'm rather lazy that way. These aren't quite scoop and drop, but slice and bake is the next best thing to scoop and drop in my books!



Tender, buttery and oh so scrumdiddlyumptiously good! I love jam anything. These ticked all my buttons and got my taste buds tingling in over time!



You only get about a dozen cookies, but . . . that's also a good thing . . . coz these are soooo moreish that any more than that would be dangerous!



*Simple Jam Jams*
Makes 12 large biscuits
Printable Recipe

Quick and easy with only five ingredients. A real milk and cookies teatime treat!

8 ounces self raising flour (a scant 2 cups)
4 ounces golden caster sugar (1/2 cup)
4 ounces of cold butter, cut into bits (1/2 cup)
1 large free range egg, beaten
4 TBS strawberry jam

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5. Butter a large baking sheet well, or line with parchment paper.

Measure the flour, sugar and butter into a bowl. Rub the butter in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Stir in the egg with a fork, adding only as much of the egg as you need to create a stiff dough. Knead a bit with your hands and then shape the dough into a cylinder about 3 inches in diameter and 6 inches in length. Cut into 1/2 inch thick slices with a sharp knife. Place onto the baking sheet, leaving at least 2 inches between each one. (The mixture spreads a bit during baking.)

Make a small indentation in the middle of each with your thumb. Drop 1 tsp of jam into each indentation. Bake for 10 to `5 minutes, until slightly risen and golden. Let sit on the pan for a few minutes before scooping off onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely.

Store in an airtight container.



These also come Mitzie approved. Yes . . . I did give it to her. I know . . . I spoil her don't I? But how can you resist??? She's just too adorable!

14 comments

  1. its 11 o'clock here and I'm just going to bed,, what the heck time is it where you are,, you are an early bird for sure.My mum made these Marie and sometimes she put date filling in them,, they are yummy,, my kids love these, so do I.Have a good day Marie.(night night) lol I couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in Scotland and these remind me of empire biscuits my mum would bake,They look really tasty..well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These do look just wonderful..YUM! And I wouldn't be able to tell that sweet dog no either! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's 1:30 in the morning here, and I can't wait to go back to bed and get up to make these cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Marie these took me back to my schooldays today.My Mother made them often and like you say, 1doz is enough,we used to devour them LOL!!I must set me mind to making some of these next time my Grandaughter comes to help me bake.LOL !!... at that little pup she is adorable,look at that gaze she gives you Heeeee.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooo good! I've not been baking any sweets (have since our anniversary cake back in March--trying to cut back on sugar!)...these are really tempting me though--LOL! A sugar cookie with jam--that sounds really good. I miss my Mom's sugar cookies. And of course we must have Mitzie's seal of approval! ;o) Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those cookies look really yummy and Mitzie is a darling ....
    Spoil her silly ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look right up our alley:) Cute face:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look very yummy Marie! and Mitzie is adorable, I just want to pet her adorable silky fur. Don't let her get chubby though! I think I'll try to make these today, my son is coming later. And I like the idea of prune filling too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First: I love Daisie picture! look lovely, REX one of my dogs love cookies and yogurt!! (sss!)

    and these cookies look amazinf my dear I have to do for my kids!! loads of love!!xgloria

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ja! Look this Daisie eyes!! She adore you dear! gloria

    she is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marie, these really sound interesting. I think they look perfect. I am new here and don't often post, but i wanted you to know that I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Marie, your Mitzie is adorable. I just discovered your blog, it's fabulous, thanks a lot for your fantastic recipes that I am downloading and will try for the family and friends. Love your cakes. Will bookmark your blog and come again, nice recipes, thanks for sharing. Regards, Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone for your comments! Mitzie is a little charmer for sure, although she is on a diet now, so no more treats from me. Trisha I hope you enjoy the recipes. I only put recipes on here that we have tried and enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!