Avocado and Baby Gem Salad with a Warm Pancetta and Mustard Dressing

Wednesday 29 June 2011



We've had some lovely salad weather these past few days, albeit not as horribly warm and humid as the South East has had. I'm not complaining . . . I hate hot and humid together. I don't find that pleasant at all.



I will take sunny and warm over that any day of the week!!



Today for our lunch I made us a delicious salad, using Baby Gem Lettuce from our garden . . . with some fresh yellow and red cherry tomatoes and a fantastic hot bacon and mustard dressing.



Add to that some creamy sliced ripe avocado and a few chives and we had a fabulous salad that was tasty, colourful and quite filling!



Of course the Toddster wasn't overly happy about the idea of having salad for lunch. Meh! You can please em all!
It didn't stop him from scarfing it all down though.



The bacony mustardy dressing was delicious sopped up with some crusty bread. The tomatoes get a bit squidgy too, but still firm. Don't overheat them . . . you don't want them to cook, just release a bit of their juices. Oh so scrummy!!



Quick, healthy, colourful and very, very tasty!



*Avocado and Baby Gem Salad with a Warm Pancetta and Mustard Dressing*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Quick to make and very summery! We had this with some crusty bread. Perfect!

4 TBS olive oil
8 rashers of good quality back bacon, cut into small cubes, or the equivalent
in Pancetta lardons
16 cherry tomatoes, halved (I used a mix of yellow and red)
2 TBS red wine vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp grainy Dijon mustard
2 ripe avocados, halved, stoned and sliced
1 TBS coarsely chopped chives
2 baby gem lettuces, washed, dried and leaves separated
4 TBS toasted pinenuts

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon or lardons and cook, stirring occasionally until crisp. Add the tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil and mustards. Allow to simmer for several minutes. Arrange the lettuce and sliced avocado on a large platter. Stir the pinenuts and chives into the warm bacon and tomato dressing and pour over top of the salad. Serve immediately!

5 comments

  1. Dear Marie I love these look georgeous! special for your summer days, (also we eat salads all the year)
    I love avocados, gerardo bought a lot righjt now (to a friend) so is nice! send you huggs my dear and kisses.
    My mom have a test today in the cardiologist, to the nest surgery. Please pray. I will see Lura later. huggs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good - you've inspired me to get back into salads! - especially ones with bacon and avocadoes!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! All those flavors, colors, and textures! This is now on my must-try list. ...Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. A delicious salad - a feast for the eyes and the tastebuds. I used pancetta in mine and it was perfect and added that bit extra to the whole dressing. I also added a few baby spinach leaves which I had in the fridge and that was a nice addition of colour and flavour. We had lovely crusty bread to soak up the juices - very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love that you are trying these older recipes Marie. It really makes my day when you do and when you enjoy them. Love the addition of spinach! Also love pancetta! Crusty bread with this is perfect! Thank you! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!