Cherry Clafoutis 2

Tuesday 21 June 2011



Hooray for summer! This is cherry season and if we were living down in Kent at the moment, we'd be able to pick up paper bags full of them all over the place. The lay-byes are filled with cherry sellers plying their wares. Beautiful sweet cherries, warm from the sun. I never could get my fill!



But alas we are up in Cheshire now and you don't see cherry sellers up here, or at least I havent'. The cherries in the shops are very expensive as well, so cherries are a very rare treat . . . that is until today when I was at my local Morrisons and lo and behold they had these lovely Picota Cherries from Spain on for £1 a punnet! I picked up two and may go back and get more to freeze.



They are not British Cherries, nor are they French Cherries, and I had never heard of Picota Cherries before, but they are apparently the Queen of the beautiful Jerte Valley in Western Spain. They are only available for a short time . . . mid June until the end of July. They have two unique qualities . . . they are smaller than the other varieties and they are naturally stalkless as the stalk is left on the tree when each cherry is picked.



They have a nother beautiful quality I'd like to shout about . . . THEY'RE DELICIOUS! Yummy! I have eaten a whole punnet, without blinking an eye. I just couldn't stop! (I am so bad! But they are soooo good!)



I decided to make a Clafoutis with the remainder of them, using this recipe I found on the M&S site. I have adapted it to include North American measurements for you North Americans. It is some good. A little bit different from my other recipe which you can find here.



This one doesn't have any cream so it is a little bit less fattening. Oh scrummy yummy. I love me some Cherry Clafoutis!



*Cherry Clafoutis*

Juicy black cherries baked in a surround of sweetened batter. Delicious!

3 large free range eggs, with one egg separated
150g of plain flour (1.2 cups of flour)
100g of icing sugar (about 3/4 cup)
100ml of whole milk (1/3 cup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
butter for greasing the pan
300g of cherries stoned (about 2 cups)
25g of flaked almonds (1/4 cup)
icing sugar for dusting

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F gas mark 5. Lightly butter a shallow 10 inch baking dish. Set aside.

Place 2 of the eggs and one egg yolk in a large bowl. Sift in the flour and icing sugar. Add the milk and vanilla. Whisk together until well combined. Beat the remaining egg white until stiff. Fold this into the batter. Scatter the cherries over the bottom of the buttered baking dish. Pour the batter over top and sprinkle with the almonds.

Bake for 30 minutes, until the batter is just set. Remove from oven and cool to warm. Dust with icing sugar and serve.

13 comments

  1. Ooooooooooh that looks mighty fine to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for printing this recipe! Your blog is wonderful with lots of delicious recipes and it is a treat to read! Warm regards, Ann ~ Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very good cloufutis! Have a nice day, laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks delicious!! I love this taste of clafoutis!
    Wonderful your blog, I hope to have some time to cook and to taste the goodies!!
    Sorina - Romania

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cherries. Your Clafoutis looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I think I love cherry time as much as strawberry time... LOL! I've always wanted to make this...and now with cherry season here, I can. This recipe looks sooo good... Thank you, Marie--LOVE YOU LOTS :o) ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never get enough cherries, this looks likes the perfect excuse to buy more! Thanks, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks as perfect as summer gets!
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, Where have you been all my life! ROFL... I am a cook enthusiast and have been looking for a great website about English cooking. Rumors in the US say that English cooking is horrible but I always had a feeling that is totally wrong. I can't wait to try the recipes that you have posted. :D Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Marie what lovely clafouti! look amazing, I love cherries Marie, snif, snif! we havent know we are in winter you know look aesome, huggs my dear friend,, and a kiss to Todd and you, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've found a replacement for cherry pie and it's called Clafoutis! Your recipes are delicious looking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. absolutely gorgeous recipe! and love your blog - you are living my dream. I am a Canadian who would love to live in the UK ! and I am also your newest follower :)

    Linda @ Lemon Drop

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, thanks for this recipe I did it for some friends who came to dinner tonight and it went down very well! I left the cherry stones in though as traditionally that is how clafoutis was done and it gave the whole thing a lovely almond taste without any almonds added!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!