Gum Drop Biscuits (aka Cookies)

Tuesday 28 June 2011



Sometimes I just fancy a good biscuit . . . or cookie as they are known in North America. I do love me a custard cream . . . or a jam filled biscuit . . . sometimes only a chocolate chip will do.



It goes without saying that homemade are infinitely better than store bought, as I am sure you will agree.



Today I fancied something that was wholesome and yet moreishly decadent at the same time . . . but not chocolate.



These great biscuits fit the bill on all counts! They are at once chewy and crunchy. Crumbly and moreish. You get a yummy crunch from the cornflakes . . . a hint of chewyness from the coconut . . . some wholesomeness from the oats . . . don't get me started on the gumdrops . . .



Oh my . . . the gumdrops . . . they are sweet and chewy and fruitily addictive. Of course you can't buy the right gumdrops over here in the UK, so I bring back bags of them whenever I go over to Canada for a visit. That way I can always make these cookies and my favourite gumdrop cake . . .



But . . . the other day I discovered that lemon and orange slices work perfectly! You can get these over here and as they are my favourite flavours of gumdrops, I'm a happy camper as my gumdrop supply is rapidly dwindling and there is no trip to Canada on the cards in my near future at all . . . sigh . . .

You can get packs of orange and lemon slices in the cake decorating section of Morrisons over here. They are little mini ones and are just the perfect size for these cookies. Oh so scrummy!

Of course if you live in North America, you can just use gumdrops. Just don't use the black ones. They have a tendancy to bleed into the cookies and turn an awful colour. Just eat those while you are putting the cookies together. That's what works for me!



*Gum Drop Biscuits*
Makes about 3 dozen
Printable Recipe

Colourful, chewy and yet crisp at the same time. Very Moreish!

4 ounces white vegetable fat (Trex or Crisco) (1/2 cup)
3.5 ounces soft light brown sugar (1/2 cup packed)
4 ounces granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
1 large free range egg
3 ounces rolled oats (1 cup)
1.5 ounces of cornflakes (1 cup)
5.2 ounces plain flour (1 cup)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 ounces flaked coconut (1/2 cup)
4 ounces cut up gumdrops (no Black) (1/2 cup)
(I have found over here in the UK that those lemon and orange slices work
really well. You can get mini ones in the Cake decoration section at Morrisons.
One packet is just about the right size for what you need.)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Line a couple of baking trays with parchment paper and then butter the paper. Set aside.

Cream together the shortening and the sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs. Sift together the flour, soda, baking powder and salt. Stir this into the creamed mixture until well mixed together. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Drop by heaped spoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for about 15 minutes, until lightly browned on the bottoms. Remove from the oven. Let cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling. Store in an airtight container.

4 comments

  1. Very good your cookies! Hello, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are something our family will gobble up for sure yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Marie Yours biscuits look amazing!...and tempting (LOL)
    send you huggs and lov emt friend!! gloria

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!