Hot Hamburger Platter Dinner

Thursday 9 June 2011



One thing my Todd has always wanted to do is to go to a diner to eat. You know . . . just like the ones on the telly that you see in all those American movies.

All chrome and formica . . . and juke boxes, waitresses named Sally, and a coffee cup that has no bottom.

Club sandwiches, gravy fries and mile high pies.



I thought I would try to recreate a Diner meal for him here at home tonight, but in as low fat as possible. One of my favourites back home use to be the Hot Hamburger Sandwich Platter.



A big oval platter, loaded up with hot fries, a huge hamburger pattie on a toasted bun, with oodles of gravy slathered over top and a small bucket of coleslaw on the side. Washed down with an ice cold soda pop. It can't be beat!



It might not be much to look at, but what it lacks in looks, it more than makes up for in flavour. I used extra lean ground steak, which I flavoured with onion powder, garlic, seasoning salt and black pepper . . . lots of onion and garlic. I then divided the meat into four equal shapes and then flattened them as thin as I could into a huge flat irregular sized burgers, so they had lots of little nooks and crannies on the edges.



Because they were really thin, they cooked in quick time and all the moisture stayed inside the burger, so they were moist as well as flavourful, with a nice sear on the outside. The chips . . . why oven baked of course, and cut so thin that they also turned out nicely browned with crisp golden edges.



You can make your own pan gravy if you wish. (I tell you how) or you can just open a tin of beef gravy. Me, I opted for Bisto, coz there is not much fat in it., and it's as easy as boiling the kettle.



Even the coleslaw, my own homemade, was low in fat . . . as I used a fat free mayo and low fat creme fraiche. The only thing I didn't do was to put on a short dress and ask him to "kiss ma grits!" (I also didn't ask for a tip!) Oh, and there was no pie . . . sigh . . .




*Hot Hamburger Platter Dinner*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

It's diner food for the UK! A delicious well flavoured hot hamburger patty on a toasted bun half, topped with gravy and served with crispy fries and coleslaw!

1 pound extra lean minced steak
1 TBS minced garlic
1 TBS onion powder
1 tsp seasoned salt
5 TBS flour
1 litre of beef broth
4 large baking potatoes
oil
seasonings for the fries (I like the smoked paprika, sweet red pepper and thyme mix from M&S)
salt and black pepper
Toasted Bun halves
Coleslaw, your own or purchased

Preheat the oven to 225*C/425*F/ gas mark 7. Have ready a large baking sheet.

Wash the potatoes and dry well. Cut into thin chips. Toss them onto the baking sheet. Pour about 1 TBS of oil over top along with some of your chosen seasoning and some salt and black pepper. Toss together with your hands. Place into the heated oven and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.

Mix together the minced steak, garlic, onion powder, seasoned salt and a bit of salt and lots of black pepper to taste. (You can pinch off a little bit and fry it in a pan to see if you have the seasoning correct if you wish.) Shape into large flat irregular shaped patties.

Place a large skillet over mediium high heat. Add a bit of oil and fry the patties until well browned on both sides and cooked through. Remove and keep warm. Reserve any drippings in the pan. There probably won't be much. You will need about 4 TBS. You can add some butter to the pan drippings to make this up. Once the fat is melted and hot, stir in the flour, whisking it in well. Slowly whisk in the broth a bit at a time, whisking until the gravy thickens. Simmer for several minutes then taste and adjust seasoning as required.

Divide the fries between 4 heated plates. Place a toasted bun half on each and top with a burger. Spoon over some of the gravy, making sure it covers the burger and some of the chips. Serve with coleslaw on the side. Enjoy!

12 comments

  1. I went the opposite way, from Scotland to the U.S. I miss my rolls and sausage with HP sauce washed down with some Irn Bru...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd is a lucky man! YUM
    Mary oxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, boy... I was just home in the USA, and we went to a diner twice--such a treat! No diners here, and I miss them somethings. Thankfully, some diners do offer more healthier options--some. ;o) This dish is like a taste of home. Must show my hubby! Happy Day, Marie--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah...diner food! I'm thinking YOUR diner food would beat them all, Marie! This looks wonderful! And your own coleslaw, too??? You're just amazing!

    Love your breakfast buns recipe, too--those look so yummy!

    WIshing you the most wonderful day, dear friend...lots of love coming your way from FINALLY sunny California!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fantastic! Unfortunately, this type of food in the UK is rarely done well, and normally falls into the category of 'junk food'. Not so with yours! I have to admit to being dubious about Bisto and coleslaw on the same plate, but the whole thing looks so good that I'd give it a go!

    Hannah @ Love to Dine
    http://lovetodine.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!
    This is one of my favorite meals and after seeing your pictures I am hungry.
    We had a little diner in our town that was well known for their fries and gravy. They have since closed and even though you can order them elsewhere...they just don't taste as good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't Todd just
    the luckiest guy
    to have a sweetie
    like you to reinvent
    diner food for him?
    Yep, love a good diner;
    we just don't do it
    very often....That way,
    the indulgence doesn't
    involve guilt! This
    is making me VERY
    hungry, Marie; thanks
    for the great recipe!
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! I live in America and I'm still looking for one of those diners that you see on TV! I think it'd be fun to work at one, but I'm probably wrong about that. ;) Very yummy dinner! I'm drooling over here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uuuuh, excuse me! I believe a HOT hamburger is kept HOT by a serving of FRENCH FRIED POTATERS draped ON TOP of said HOT hamburger. The FRENCH FRIED POTATERS provide INSULATION to the HOT hamburger. GRAVY is then applied to said FRENCH FRIED POTATERS to add additional warmth. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uuuuh, I think you will find that is probably a regional thing. This is my kitchen, and my experience in what I have been served as a Hot Hamburger platter. Also, I think you are being quite rude. No need to shout! lol

      Delete
  10. Have you ever gone 'round the horn, where the weather's never warm,
    See the lion and the unicorn, riding on a donkey.
    -Shrek

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!