Lemon Meringue Cupcakes

Saturday 11 June 2011



Time for a Saturday Teatime Treat! I actually made these to bring to a friend.

I just adore lemon anything, but Todd is not a real fan of lemon at all . . . so I thought that I could make these . . . just have one myself, and then give the rest away. That way I get to taste and enjoy a reasonable amount, and then they're gone, gone, gone and out of temptation's way! (Don't feel too sorry for Todd. I always bake him something he will like as well.)



I got to taste. My friend got to enjoy. Todd didn't have to suffer through any accidental lemon poisoning! It was a win all around situation!



I adore lemon curd and I had some lemons that were getting close to needing to be used up, so it was the perfect day to make some and these cupcakes are the perfect way to use that lemon curd up! Also win/win! (I love it when everything works out that way)



I also happened to have a carton of mini meringues that I had purchased a few weeks back, which was lucky!



I had seen a recipe similar to this somewhere, but couldn't find it. I found lots where you made meringue and baked it on top of the cupcakes, but none that used mini already baked meringues. I hate it when that happens, and I can't find what I know I've seen, but nevermind . . . . I just winged it, by baking my favourite cupcake recipe, and turning them into lemon cupcakes.



I then hollowed out the centres of the baked cakes, and then brushed a yummy lemon and sugar glaze on top while they were still warm so that all that lemony goodness was somewhat absorbed and the edges were all crusty.



I filled the hollows with some lemon curd and then plunked a tasty meringue on the top of each lemon curd pool.

Quick. Easy. Pretty. Impressive. And . . . very, VERY scrummy!!!!



*Lemon Meringue Cupcakes*
Makes 12
Printable Recipe

Delicious cupcakes with a tart lemon glaze, a lovely lemon curd filling and topped with a crispy baby meringue!

For the cupcakes:
4 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature (1/2 cup)
4 ounces caster sugar (2/3 cup)
2 large free range eggs
the finely grated zest of one unwaxed lemon
1/2 tsp lemon extract
4 ounces self raising flour (scant cup)
1/2 tsp baking powder

For the glaze:
the finely grated zest of one unwaxed lemon
the juice of one lemon
1/3 cup caster sugar

You will also need:
a jar of lemon curd, homemade or storebought
a container of mini meringues

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/gas mark 4. Line a 12 hole bun tray with 12 cupcake cases. Set aside.

Place all the cupcake ingredients into a bowl. Beat well with an electric whisk until light and fluffy. Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases. Bake for 15 minutes, or until well risen and the centres spring back when lightly touched. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack.

Mix the lemon juice, lemon zest and caster sugar for the glaze together, stirring to combine well. While the cupcakes are still warm, and using a melon baller, remove a bit from the centre of each cupcake, and discard. Brush the edges and the centre area with the glaze. Fill the hollow with some lemon curd and pop a meringue onto the top. Serve immediately.

10 comments

  1. Ohhh, these looks so good to me..I could pop a dozen! I love lemon things! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! I can live with this all right :-) Gorgeous as usual Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh these look yummy, I just ate one of my lemon scones,, and I made lemon curd to go with,, these cupcakes will be something I'm trying,, yum,, have a super day Marie,, thankyou for your kind words to me today,, such a good friend I have in you,, I was worried I said to much,,

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute are those.. and the attention to detail is so sweet.Like everything you do.Have a wonderful weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  5. lemon meringue anything is my fav! I have got to try these they look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look amazing Marie!! I love lemon meringue cupcakes!! look delicious have a nice weekend with yours sweeties(LOL) love yah! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look delicious and so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum! I love this and all of your lemon recipes. Thank you for sharing.

    Janet in Winnipeg, MB

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so pretty - I love anything with lemon curd - these are beautifully done!
    Mary oxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfectly piped meringue! They look so pretty, not sure I'd have had the heart to eat them ... well maybe not ALL of them lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!