Oatmeal Cake

Saturday 25 June 2011



The missionaries popped over yesterday to do some work for us in the garden. You know how much I love the missionaries and how much I like to spoil them and so I thought I would bake them a cake so that they could have a piece and a nice glass of milk after they were finished.



I thought they would enjoy a good old fashioned oatmeal cake. It was always a favourite of my boys. Put a dish of oatmeal down in front of them and they turned up their noses . . . turn that oatmeal into a tasty cake and they couldn't get enough of it!!



This is an incredibly moreishly moist and delicious cake! Brown sugar and oats make it so . . . and it has a lovely spicy flavour from warm spices . . . cinnamon and nutmeg. Oh so homey and comforting.



The topping is oh so scrummy . . . all nutty and coconutty and sweet . . . kinda like toffee and nuts and coconut in one incredibly delicious combination.



Altogether you get one unbelievably yummy cake that will have them coming back for seconds! I've never had anyone turn down the offer of a second piece yet!



*Oatmeal Cake*
Makes one 9 by 13 inch cake
Printable Recipe

A moist and deliciously old fashioned cake with a scrummy broiled toffee and coconut topping!

375ml of boiling water (1 1/2 cup)
3 1/2 ounces rolled oats (1 cup)
4 ounces white shortening such as Trex or Crisco (1/2 cup)
7 1/2 ounces soft light brown sugar (1 cup)
7 ounces of granulated sugar (1 cup)
2 large free range eggs, well beaten
6 1/2 ounces of plain flour (1 1/2 cups)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

For the topping:
4 ounces butter (1/2 cup)
7 1/2 ounces soft light brown sugar (1 cup packed)
100ml of cream (1/3 cup)
3 ounces sweetened flaked coconut (1 cup)
4 ounces chopped nuts (1 cup)
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 5. Grease and flour a 9 by 13 inch baking pan. Set aside.

Pour the boiling water over the oats and let stand until cool. Cream the shortening together with the sugars and eggs until fluffy. Add oats and water mixture. Sift the flour, spices and soda together. Blend into the creamed mixture. Pour this batter into the prepared pan.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the cake tests done. The top should spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted into the centre should come out clean.

While the cake is baking, make the topping. Melt the butter. Blend in the sugar and add the remaining ingredients. Preheat the grill to high.

Spread the topping onto the baked hot cake. Place under the heated grill for 1 to 2 minutes until bubbling. Allow to cool completely before serving.

Cut into squares to serve. Store any leftovers covered tightly.

8 comments

  1. This is my most favorite cake of all. Super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds lovely Marie, I'm sure it will go down well with my family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love oats. I have put them in biscuits and bread but never a cake. I will be making this. Lovely. Thanks Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love oats also..looks delicious!Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Marie - this is SOOOOOOOOOO good, I'm reading this at breakfast time and can't wait to eat it!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cake my dear Marie look really delicious (always) and I love this type of cake.Hope yoou have a nice weekend my dear, huggs, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog through Applique Today and I can't wait to have a good look around. Your photogrpahy is stunning and the fact that you are a Canadian in the UK has me smiling too. I'm Canadian too and moved to the UK in 2001! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks so gooey and delicious! yum!!
    xo,mini baker

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!