Tomato and Cucumber Salad

Friday 24 June 2011



I have been making this delicious salad for years. I am sure I must make it at least two or three times a week during the summertime, it's that popular with us!



I first tasted it at my sister's inlaws at their cottage on the banks of Lake Erie back in the 1970's. I had never ever had sour cream before, and my sister's mother in law made it only with cucumbers.



Oh, my . . . it was the most delicious thing I had ever tasted! I remember we had it along with fried bologna sandwiches, eaten out on their deck overlooking the water.

A simple supper, yes, but that simple supper goes down in my memories as being one of the most favourite suppers I have ever had! Just goes to show you that I am a woman of simple tastes!



The tomato and dill are my own additions. It just seemed natural to me that these things would go together spectacularly, and you know what???

I was right. Enjoy!



*Tomato and Cucumber Salad*
Serves 4 to 6
Printable Recipe

Cool, and refreshing on a hot day. We love this.

2 English cucumbers, peeled, halved and sliced into moons
1 small red onion, slivered
salt
2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges

For the dressing:
200ml of sour cream (3/4 cup)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 tsp dillweed
freshly ground black pepper

Place the cucumber into a bowl. Sprinkle it with some salt and slosh it around a bit, so that the salt is well distributed. Put onion into a bowl and sprinkle it with some salt, slosh it around too. Let sit for about 15 minutes, then drain well, discarding any liquid and squeezing the onions. Stir them together in a bowl and add the sliced tomatoes. COmbine the sour cream, sugar, dillweed and vinegar along with a nice grinding of black pepper. Stir this into the vegetables and serve. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.

5 comments

  1. Simple, light and it looks delicious! I love the flecks of dill. My garden is over run with it and now I have one more idea of how to use some- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely salad. Just oerfect for summer. I love this quotation you have used

    "All Nature seems at work. Slugs leave their lair
    The bees are stirring, birds are on the wing,
    And Winter slumbering in the open air,
    Wears on his smiling face a dream of spring."
    - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

    ReplyDelete
  3. This salad looks light and tasty especially on these hot summer days here in Florida. I really like that added dill. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the first pic and the sprinkling of dill and was hooked! This looks like something I'll try tonight. Have you ever substituted Greek yogurt for sour cream? Utterly delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am originally from upstate New York and we lived on cucumber salad with sour cream throughout the summer. I make a version with tomatoes as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!