Lazy Man's Beef Stew

Friday 9 September 2011


(This is after the initial baking period of 4 hours as I was stirring in the
frozen peas and mushrooms.)


Again, here I am using up all the fresh veg etc. that I can from the fridge before I go on holidays. The Toddster is a meat and potatoes kind of a guy. As you know all I have to do to please him is throw some meat and potatoes on to a plate and he is quite happy . . . AS IF! I would never just throw some meat and potatoes on to a plate!!!


(The finished product.)

On his Birthday this week, I baked him a lovely cherry almond cake, AND a fruit cake AND I made him this lovely stew. He was one very happy camper. You just can't beat a good stew can you?



Fruitcake, cherry cake . . . meat and potatoes!
This is a very easy stew to make. All you do is throw everything into a casserole dish and bake it in the oven. No browning. No mess. No fuss. Easy peasy as can be!



I love it when things are easy and yet come out tasting gloriously delicious and as if you'd spent all day slaving over a hot stove, don't you? (Tis called Lazy Man's Beef Stew, coz who'd ever believe a woman would be lazy? tee hee!)



*Lazy Man's Beef Stew*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

An oldie but a goodie. Delicious, easy and quick to throw together. Beef and vegetables baked in a slow oven until the meat is meltingly tender and the accompanying sauce, rich and delicious.

2 pounds of stewing beef, trimmed of all fat and cut into cubes
4 large carrots, peeled, quartered and cut into pieces
1 tin of cream of tomato soup
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp savoury
freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
8 fluid ounces of red wine
2 leeks, trimmed, washed and thinly sliced
8 ounces of frozen peas (1 small package)
1 punnet of fresh mushrooms, sliced and browned in a bit of butter, or 1 tin of sliced mushrooms, drained
(about 1 cup)

Oven temperature 140*C/275*F/ gas mark 3.

Grease a large casserole dish. Put into the beef, carrots, tomato soup, leeks, potatoes, bay leaf, black pepper and 1/2 of the wine. Stir well together. Cover tightly and bake for 4 hours. Remove from the oven and stir. Add the frozen peas, mushrooms and remaining red wine and if necessary a little water. Cover tightly and cook for 1 hour longer.



There's some tasty Lunch Box Oatmeal Cookies baking over in the Cottage today!

8 comments

  1. see I'm still up, its 11 pm,, this is making me drool! Yummo,, I can't wait to try this one,, I hope your day went well, I thinks tomorrow will be beautiful here, your food photos are so good, they just are so yummy looking,, everything always,, love ,,, laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie,

    Do you have to use the wine? I do drink very occasionally but the rest of the family do like the taste of it.

    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suze, you could just use beef broth if you like, making sure it is not an overly salty one. I think that would work out very well. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love beef stew and this looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beef stew is a big hit with Malcolm too Marie, so thanks for weekend cooking inspiration! Your stew looks delicious and so comforting.
    Have a great holiday, where are you going to?
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. No browning!! Some days I am too lazy to brown, but I never would have thought to leave it off. Your recipe gives me the confidence to try it without browning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love this kind of meal Marie:) Twins:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so yummy! Never would have thought of baking it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!