Raspberry Feather Bread and Butter Pudding

Sunday 18 September 2011



It was really nice to have a holiday away, despite all the rain, but it was ever so nice to come home again too. Home always feels extra special nice when you have been away from it for a while, don't you think??? Home is where you hang your heart.



I brought home half a loaf of a country farm bread that I had picked up at the Farm shop the other day, and I wanted to use it all up before it went moldy. So today I thought I would make the Toddster one of his favourite puddings . . . a tasty bread and butter pudding . . .



Except I decided to add a bit of a twist. I thought to add marmelade, and then I thought . . . (you all know what happens then, don't you?)

The lights went on and I remembered my mother's delicious Feather Squares. She only ever made them at Christmas . . . the bottom being a delicious buttery sponge, spread with raspberry jam . . . spread with a sweet meringue and sprinkled with coconut and then toasted all scrummily brown. Oh, they are so good!!!



I decided to make my bread and butter pudding in honor of those lovely Feather Squares and so I made it with raspberry jam sandwiches. I added a bit of fresh lemon zest to the custard and then I sprinkled the top with some flaked and sweetened coconut.



Oh my, but doesn't that look positively scrumdiddlyumptious???



I thought so too!! And the best is . . . it tastes even better than it looks!!



*Raspberry Feather Bread and Butter Pudding*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

A fancified bread and butter pudding based on my mother's Raspberry Feather squares. Nostalgic and scrummy.

8 slices of stale bread (use a sturdy loaf), crusts trimmed off
(Feed to the birds)
seedless raspberry jam
softened butter
2 large free range eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 heaped dessertspoons of golden caster sugar
1000ml of whole milk (4 cups)
the grated zest of one unwaxed lemon
a handful of flaked coconut

Make 4 raspberry jam sandwiches using the bread and jam. Butter the outsides and cut into quarters. Arrange in a shallow, buttered baking dish, fitting in snuggly.

Beat together the eggs, vanilla, sugar, milk and lemon zest. Pour over the jam sandwiches in the buttered dish. Allow to sit for about 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Sprinkle the soaked pudding with the flaked coconut. Cover loosely with foil and then bake in the oven for about 35 to 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer, until risen, set and lightly browned. Don't worry if it falls after you take it out of the oven. That is supposed to happen.



Over at the Cottage . . . delicious Skillet Beef Burritos.

9 comments

  1. Scrumdiddlyumptious is absolutely the right word Marie. Heaven on a plate I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scrumdiddlyumptious indeed....
    I'm currently fit to burst with our Roast Lamb Sunday Lunch, but I still could manage a wee portion if I had some....And then there's the Gingerbread...oh my....I'm going to pop! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always glad to be home no matter how lovely my holiday has been!Glad you had a nice time and I enjoyed reading about your exploits.
    That looks FAB! You cannot beat a Bread and Butter pudding now Autumn is here and I love fruit in mine too......looks great Marie.
    Karen @ Lavender and Lovage

    ReplyDelete
  4. welcome home Marie, this pudding is beautiful, my husband loves bread pudding and could eat it everyday.I'll have to make this for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could so eat this right now! It looks fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scrumdiddlyumptious without a doubt- what a great, inventive twist on a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The coconut is the icing on the cake!! Yum yum for J...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks fabulous! My mother always said when we got home from vacation, "It's nice to go, but it's nicer to come home." I didn't understand it then, but I so do now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!