Best Banana Loaf - cremated

Thursday 22 December 2011




I had some bananas sitting in my fruit basket today that were almost overripe to the point where if I had let them go just one day longer I'd have had to throw them away and so I thought I would do a banana loaf. You can never have enough banana loaves in my estimation.

I also found a really scrummy looking recipe in the cookery book, Lotte's Country Kitchen, by Lotte Duncan, which included sultanas, and ginger and oh my . . . it just sounded scrumptious indeed.



I threw it together and popped it into the oven and then went upstairs to do a few things, putting the timer on and asking the Toddster if he would let me know when it buzzed. I then proceeded to lose myself in my chores and it was not until someone came to the door and I heard them say that something smelled delicious that I remembered my loaf. OH NO!!



And it did smell delicious . . . but I dashed downstairs in fear . . . to find that it was only slightly cremated. Well . . . one end worse than the other, but I can salvage most of it thankfully. It'd not that pretty though . . . but . . .



It's nice to know that everyone has baking mishaps like this isn't it? It is a lot more well done than I normally like . . . which is a pity as I was really looking forward to it. It's a bit different than the usual banana loaves you find in recipe books. This one has spice and sultanas and ginger bits throughout . . .



I shall give you the recipe anyways, shall I?? You really will enjoy and hopefully you won't burn yours! Don't let these pictures of my cremated loaf turn you off! Even cremated it is rather scrummy . . . I can only imagine how gloriously deliciously scrummy it would have been had I been a bit more attentive and the Toddster hadn't had his nose buried in a cowboy film!



(This is the picture from Lotte's book and how it should look, just to tempt you . . . )

*Best Banana Loaf*
Makes one 2 pound loaf
Printable Recipe

Moist and deliciously spiced and filled with lovely sultanas, and scrummy bits of preserved ginger. Keeps well, wrapped in foil for up to three days.

2 medium over-ripe bananas
the juice of 1/2 lemon
4 ounces butter, softened (1/2 cup)
4 ounces soft light brown sugar (1/2 cup packed)
2 large free range eggs, beaten
8 ounces self rising flour (2 cups)
2 ounces of sultana raisins (1/3 cup)
1 piece of preserved stem ginger in syrup, drained and finely chopped
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp of baking powder

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter a 2 pound non-stick loaf tin and dust with flour, tapping out any excess. Alternately line with greaseproof paper.

Mash the bananas together in a bowl, along with the lemon juice. Set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar together, using a wooden spoon, until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the mashed banana mixture, mixing it in well.

Sift together the flour, cinnamon, ginger and baking powder. Fold in to the creamed mixture gently, along with the sultanas and ginger, mixing just to combine. Spread evenly in the prepared pan, smoothing the top over.

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until golden brown, risen and firm to the touch. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.

Serve sliced, with or without softened butter for spreading. Delicious!

It's nice to have a few different quick breads in the larder over the holidays. They are always a welcome tidbit to serve with a hot cup of whatever to those unexpected people who drop by . . . at least that's what I think at any rate!

Tomorrow, I promise . . . scrummy side dishes to round out your Festive Feast!!!



Over in The Cottage today, a delicious Ginger Syrup, which is the perfect cure all for what ails you!

3 comments

  1. Now that does sound a very tempting banana loaf - I've just made a Hairy Bikers one which disappeared far quicker than the bunch of banana's ever did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SNAP! Again! I have that book and LOVE it! I also love banana bread and despite the little toasty bits, that looks wonderful.....Malcolm loves bread with toasty bits!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!