Little Gems with Blue Cheese Dressing

Wednesday 28 December 2011



After all the gluttony and rich food of the past few days my soul was craving something green and good for me today. I do so love a good salad . . . the Toddster . . . not so much. But I torture him with one once in a while! I'm such a bad puddy tat and I am so mean to him!!



I just adore Baby Gem Lettuces. I am not sure what the equivalent would be in North America. They are tiny lettuces, almost like miniature Romaine or Cos lettuces, about 4 inches long and compact . . . with a great colour and almost bitter flavour. They come in green and red. I suppose you could use Romaine hearts instead if that is all you can get.



I love this salad with it's simple flavours, textures and colours. You get the crisp, slightly bitter lettuce quarters . . . the creamy bite of blue cheese crumbles, the sharpness of the chopped spring onions . . . combined with the tanginess of that lovely apple cider and blue cheese dressing. Oh, it is just my favourite salad of all time. Truly. And just perfect for a light lunch after all the heavyness of the past week.



*Little Gems With a Blue Cheese Dressing*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

This is one of my favourite salads. Simple ingredients, complex flavours. It all adds up to a truly delicious salad. Just perfect for these warmer days.

2 TBS cider vinegar
2 TBS heavy cream
3 1/2 ounces extra virgin olive oil
2 ounces blue cheese
(I like to use either Cashel Blue or Stilton)
2 fat little gem lettuces
2 spring onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
1 TBS sugar
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Whisk the vinegar and cream together with a little seasoning. Whisk in the sugar until it dissolves. Gradually whisk in the olive oil. Fold in the cheese.

Wash the lettuces and dry them really well. Cut the lettuces into wedges lengthwise and fan them out on 4 chilled salad plates. Drizzle over the dressing, dividing it equally amongst the salads. Sprinkle evenly with the spring onions. Serve immediately.



In the Cottage today, Tomato & Herb Crusted Haddock.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!