Apples In Custard

Sunday 15 January 2012



This looks plain and simple . . . and in truth it is. But don't let the simplicity of it fool you into thinking that it is not totally scrumdiddlyumptious!!



If you like baked apples and if you like custard . . . then you are going to love the two of them together!!



It's very easy to charge up the flavours as well . . . you know . . . add some cinnamon or nutmeg, or cardamom or all three!!



We love this . . . plain, or with a bit of cream poured over top.



You can cook all four servings in a square casserole dish, or do like I did and cook individual ones. Mine got a little bit close to the grill and got somewhat dark in spots, but that's ok . . . I like a little char . . . burnt toast, burnt cheese, burnt marshmallows.



Yes . . . I am wierd. But in kind of a delicious way, don't you think??



*Apples in Custard*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Proof positve that simple can be wonderfully delicious. Apples baked in a scrummy custard.

4 medium cooking apples, cored and peeled
(I like Granny Smiths)
8 TBS of sugar, plus 1 to 2 TBS for sprinkling at the end
(I use cinnamon sugar to sprinkle on at the end)

For the Custard:
96g of caster sugar (1/2 cup)
500ml of whole milk (2 cups)
1 tsp pure vanilla
3 large free range eggs
2 1/2 TBS plain flour
pinch of salt

To serve: (optional)
Cream and Maple Syrup

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.

Place the peeled and cored apples in a square baking dish (or into 4 individual casseroles). Put two tablespoons of sugar into the center cavity of each apple. Whisk together the custard ingredients until smooth. Pour over the apples, dividing it equally amongst the casseroles if making 4 individual ones. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the custard is completely set.

To finish off, at the end of the baking time sprinkle the 1 to 2 TBS of sugar (cinnamon sugar) over top of the apples and custard. Place under the grill (broiler) and grill (broil) until lightly brown. You may put a small amount of cream and maple syrup over the top for additional flavour.



Over in The Cottage today, Rumbledethumps . . . a delicious mix of potato, swede, cabbage and cheese. (Not a great picture I know!!)

7 comments

  1. Scrumdiddlyumptious indeed!
    I love baked apples and I've got some brandy custard that I think might go well...hmm...yummy :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just copied this one down, I'll make it today, yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like a little char, too, and call me weird, but in a sweet way. I like baked apples and I think that's just what I will make tomorrow afternoon. It is cold here and a baked apple and a cup of tea will be a nice treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Marie really I adore this recipe I love custard and apples I will make soon! huggs and kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this looks delicious, right up my street! Will try this out soon definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recd this recipe in 1976 from a relative, delicious ... Yje recipe I had never said the amount of milk so mine came out a little too firm or dry, But I solved that with making a small amount of pouring custard over top.

    Now that I have a fully complete recipe I most certainly will be trying within the next ten minutes...'''

    Andrea from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that you enjoy it Andrea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!