Chocolate Chip Tray bake

Friday 6 January 2012



I'm feeding the missionaries again tonight and you know how much I love to spoilt them! They're great lads who work really hard and they deserve a little extra TLC and some lovin from the oven.



They're out pouding the pavement on the Lord's errand every day, and at this time of year that is sometimes most unpleasant, what with wind and cold and rain . . . but they never complain. I admire them for that. (You can't even get me to walk the dog on a day like today. I am such a lazy cow . . . and I just hate cold wind!)



Today I thought I'd make them a tasty little treat that they could all enjoy, and at the same time get rid of a few Christmas bits and bobs . . . like chocolate and stuff . . . and biscuits. I mean . . . you can't have those types of things hanging around in January can you? January is supposed to be about casting off the old and putting on the new . . . about eating a bit healthier after all the excess of December . . .



Anyways, these tasty bars are the ideal way of using up some chocolate bits and bobs, and those last few biscuits in the tin, and whatever else you may want to throw in . . . just so long as it's scrummy and the flavours don't clash.



Sweet and buttery with little bites of crunch and then creaminess . . . the recipe doesn't call for the frosting . . . but I had some that I wanted to use up and I thought . . . why not throw a few smarties on top as well for even more colour and crunch.



Did you know that the orange ones taste like oranges??? I know! Genius! (Is it just me or are Smarties not as brightly coloured as they used to be when I was a kid???)



*Chocolate Chip Tray Bake*
Makes 12 large pieces
Printable Recipe

This is perfect for elevenses or after school!

250g of butter at room temperature (1 cup)
250g of golden caster sugar ( 1 cup plus 2 tsp)
4 large free range eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla essence
250g of self raising flour (2 cups)
2 tsp baking powder
75g of milk chocolate chips (1/2 cup)
75g of white chocolate chips (1/2 cup)
100g of sugar coated chocolate drops (ie smarties, M&M's etc., 1/2 cup)
5 biscuits, crushed (digestives, malted milk, oreo's, etc. whatever you want to use)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter and line the bottom of a shallow baking tray, about 13 by 9 inches in size. Set aside.

Cream the butter until light and fluffy. Cream in the sugar, then beat in the eggs, one at a time. Sift together the flour and baking powder and then gently fold into the creamed mixture, taking care not to over work it. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour into the prepared tin, leveling off the surface.

Bake for about 45 minutes, until golden brown. Leave to cool in the tray. Cut into squares to serve.



Over in The Cottage today, I'm cooking Braised Kale, oh so delicious! (And healthy!)

9 comments

  1. Oh, this looks dangerously good... And I'm dangerously close to wanting to make this too... There goes my no-sugar start to the new year! ;o) LOL... Happy Weekend, Marie ((LOVE & HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,My! That looks so delish!
    The two pounds I lost this week is creeping back to my bum by just looking at it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look really good! I'm new to your blog and I've enjoyed checking out your recipes. My husband is English and I agree, not all English food is awful!

    2 Kids and Tired Cooks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi from Edmonton, AB!
    I love your blog, I check it everyday for new recipes! This looks fantastic, and for the record I think Smarties changed their colour a bit when they started using natural dyes.

    Thanks for all the great recipes and stories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look wonderful, Marie! We just fed our missionaries last night--I love to spoil them, too, and they love to come here to be spoiled--makes me happy!

    Sending lots of love and New Years' wishes your way tonight, dear friend...sorry I've been such a horrible visitor lately...trying to get back in the swing--so many changes this fall!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That tray bake would surely brighten up the dullest of days. Looks like so much fun to make ... and eat ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. you feed the missionaries very well indeed, this is so cute, our gracie would love this!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!