Golden Rice and Chicken Pilaf

Monday 9 January 2012



You can pick up some tasty little goodies in the grocery store, and I'm not just talking about food. For years now I have been collecting little recipe cards, pamphlets and booklets that I thought had tasty recipes in or on them.



I have quite a collection as you can imagine. The recipes are normally quite, quite tasty. My favourites have always been the Waitrose Cards, but I have found little gems in most of the shops.



I even have some very old Robin Hood baking pamplets that I had collected when I was a girl. They're just lovely. This recipe here today came from a magazine clipping advertising chicken tenders.



I have adapted it somewhat and it is a recipe we both really enjoy. It gives us a tasty dinner on the day and then leftovers to stick in the freezer for another time. It has just enough spice to suit our tastes, with middle eastern flavours. The frozen peas are my addition . . . because they add colour and texture and we like them.



Quick, easy and a great way to stretch a pound of chicken, this recipe pleases on many levels. I forgot to sprinkle the chopped nuts on top today . . . so you'll just have to imagine how pretty it is with them added!




*Golden Rice and Chicken Pilaf*LinkServes 4
Printable Recipe

This is a quickie dish that I adapted some years ago from one of those booklets you pick up in the grocery store. It's delicious and always more than welcome.

2 tsp oil
1 pound fresh chicken tenders (or the equivalent of boneless, skinless chicken breast,
cut into strips, crossways)
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
210g of uncooked regular long grain rice (1 cup)
1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and minced
a handful of sultana raisins
a handful of chopped dried apricots
1 heaped tsp of curry powder (I use a medium strength)
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp salt
500ml of chicken broth
white pepper to taste
a handful of frozen petit pois
to garnish:
chopped toasted almonds or pistachio nuts

Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the chicken and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is browned and the onion is softened. Stir in the rice, spices and the carrot and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until very fragrant. Stir in the fruit and broth, mixing all together well. Bring to the boil, then cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook, covered for about 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through, the rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed. Take off the heat, stir in the petit pois and set aside, covered, for about 5 minutes. Fluffy up the rice and serve immediately, garnished with some toasted nuts if desired.



Over in The Cottage today, Aunt Fern's Coconut Cookies.

9 comments

  1. this is lovely and my kind of dish, I hope you had a good weekend, it was so cold and nasty here,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken and Rice is a staple in this house. A mixture of white and dark chicken also works well in this dish. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do this too:) A little different but the same:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like the best comfort meal Marie, you're so good at cooking what I want to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I quite agree with Bunny! And this one might fit into my diet! :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks lovely, love the addition of the apricots - delicious
    Mary oxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great. I am going slowly this month and I think this is the recipe I have been wanting. No cookies, though. Too tempting and I'm losing weight. xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great looking dinner, Marie. I really like the combination of spices and the addition of the apricots and sultanas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this isn't on the right post, but I wanted to tell you we just tried your mincemeat rollups. They were absolutely delicious! Marie, you are a GENIUS! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!